• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting engine rebuilt shop is jerking me around Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sunsneak

I took my car to a shop to get the engine rebuilt.

I was given a verbal estimate of about $3000.

I have called the shop everyday to see if the car is ready.

The person i am dealing with is constantly promising me that the car will be ready, and always goes back on his deadlines.

I finally went to visit my car 30 days later after numerous phone calls. I noted that the engine was out of the car and was just about rebuilt.

He then walked me over to the office to show me a bill of $4300.

I complained to him but he gave me a line of BS.

I have already incurred a bill of $790 for a rental car and was forced to return it due to this extended wait.

I figure I can keep my mouth shut until it comes time to pay by credit card and charge it back on the credit card.

What should my next move be?

I don't want to get the cops called and end up in jail as the cops here will throw away the key in favor of a merchant.

I need my car....i need to find a job with it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

JETX

Several:
1) Don't even think of 'undo-ing' your charge credit on a car repair. The shop could then file a mechanics lien on your car, repo it and sell it to pay the bill.

2) Why, why, why did you ever allow anyone to do this much work without a WRITTEN estimate???

3) After you get your car, you will probably have to file a lawsuit to try to recover your 'damages' over the $3,000.00 estimate. And that is IF you can even prove that you got that for an estimate. AND if the mechanic is not able to claim that there were 'unforeseen' problems and he called you at EVERY step and you verbally approved ALL extra fees.

Do you get the feeling you are about to get an expensive "Life lesson"??? I do.

Paused while I did a little research....
Well, it appears that you MIGHT have some help in FL state law.

From the Florida State Bar:
"Florida Motor Vehicle Repair Act, Florida statutes 559.901 through 559.9221. This act requires that a written estimate of the cost of a repair be given to you if your repair will exceed $100.00. Always get a written estimate for any work done on your car and demand additional written estimates if the repairs are to exceed the original figure. You may also demand to be contacted by the attendant or mechanic for your authorization if there is going to be an expense over and above that which is stated in the estimate. You can ask that old parts replaced during the repair be returned to you. The repair facility must tell you whether or not new or used parts are to be used in the repair. All work and parts are required to be itemized on an invoice so you can know the reason for all charges. This law was designed to protect the consumer, so make use of it.

If you ever feel that you have been victimized by a service station gimmick, first complain to the service station or garage where your car was serviced. If you are not satisfied with the station's remedy or explanation, then contact the Division of Consumer Services at 1-800-435-7352 and make a formal complaint. Ask the Division to send you a free pamphlet on the Florida Motor Vehicle Repair Act, or read this act at your local library."

Here is a link to the specific Florida Statute for "Repair of Motor Vehicles":
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0559/part09.htm&StatuteYear=2001&Title=->2001->Chapter 559->Part IX
Look specifically at §559.105, 559.107 and 559.109.

Also, read:
http://consumer.tbo.com/consumer/guides/autorepair.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">