• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting money back from resort who damaged car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

urbanmojo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Not US law.

This might not be the right forum I realize but, if not, if you could recommend another forum that would be great.

In late February of this year we rented a car in Namibia. Along the way, we were staying at a hotel with its own service station (which is normal for some of the remote hotels). As we left, I told the guy at the station to fill the tank. I was looking at the tires to see if they needed air, and didn't notice that he was filling the tank with diesel and not unleaded. Of course once we got going the car stalled. We had to wait an extra day while the rental car company send a new car on a flat bed tow truck (8 hours drive). (after we called they of course said no one else at any service station could fix the car). When the tow truck driver came we filled out a report where the hotel manager and the attendant admitted what had happen, and that is was their fault. We just got the bill and it is an extra $1500 USD, mainly the towing cost, but also the repair and refuelling.

We are now having difficulty contacting them the hotel, so what is the best action to take to get them to pay as it was their mistake? I'm Canadian, as I mentioned the car was rented in Namibia by a European car rental place that has its regional website based in South Africa (Namibia is a very low populated country that used to be part of South Africa). I am now not in Namibia or Canada.

Thanks for any help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Not US law.

This might not be the right forum I realize but, if not, if you could recommend another forum that would be great.

In late February of this year we rented a car in Namibia. Along the way, we were staying at a hotel with its own service station (which is normal for some of the remote hotels). As we left, I told the guy at the station to fill the tank. I was looking at the tires to see if they needed air, and didn't notice that he was filling the tank with diesel and not unleaded. Of course once we got going the car stalled. We had to wait an extra day while the rental car company send a new car on a flat bed tow truck (8 hours drive). (after we called they of course said no one else at any service station could fix the car). When the tow truck driver came we filled out a report where the hotel manager and the attendant admitted what had happen, and that is was their fault. We just got the bill and it is an extra $1500 USD, mainly the towing cost, but also the repair and refuelling.

We are now having difficulty contacting them the hotel, so what is the best action to take to get them to pay as it was their mistake? I'm Canadian, as I mentioned the car was rented in Namibia by a European car rental place that has its regional website based in South Africa (Namibia is a very low populated country that used to be part of South Africa). I am now not in Namibia or Canada.

Thanks for any help.
The rental car company has no reason to not get paid by you. I suspect that you will need to pay the bill and then work out reimbursement with the hotel.

Beyond that, this is not a US law matter, sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">