• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting money back from Scientology based in Mexico

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DougP

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

I am a former member of the Church of Scientology living in the U.S. I have money "on account" for services that were paid for (in advance) at a Scientology organization in Mexico City. I have already received money back from U.S Scientology organizations, this last hurdle being the most problematic.
The Mexican church of Scientology is ignoring my requests for a refund although they acknowledge in writing that my account there does exist and that the money is owed to me.

I assume I need to find a lawyer that can practice across borders? The mother church is in California, and church policy and agreement with the IRS states that refunds of "donations" is allowable. I have a precedent in that I have already received refunds back from US based Scientology. I have another family member who is in the same predicament.

I appreciate any legal related comments to this matter.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Hot Topic

Read the Important Notice at the end of the page. No one who responds has entered into a formal, legal agreement with you to act as your attorney, and no one will. No ethical attorneys read these forums in order to attract clients.

You may want to contact the bar association in your area and ask if you can speak to an attorney who works pro bono (free) or charges a minimal fee. My guess, though, is that no one is going to tell you that the church or any business in Mexico is obligated to follow U.S. law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">