• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting the run-around. Should I persue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkanan

What is the name of your state?Michigan.
We purchased a big screen 52" magnovox television from sears 6 years and 4 months ago. Everything runs great until this year when it completely goes blank. We call Sears repair. Wonderful nice people, they send a repairman out quick. He looks at it and tells us its a $500 job (some type of mother board) and we had to make a decision whether to keep and fix or buy new. We loved the television so we said we would go ahead and fix it. When the part came in (6 weeks later--- because gentleman forgot to order) another sears repairman comes out to install. The tv still did not work. He did some checking with his "sophistocated equiptment" and said it was the tube, packed up his stuff quickly and as per the writing on the receipt stated "cost to repair exceeds the cost of tv". He then told me the best thing to do was sell it for parts. Bummer! So we did. We sold it for $50 to a retired gentleman in our community newspaper.
The gentleman goes home with our television and calls me 10 minutes after he removed the backing and said there was a loose wire. You guessed it! He hooked it up and is watching a 52 inch television that is absolutely perfect for freakin' $50 bucks. He said he only called because he thought we should persue some type of compensation for their "knuckle head" repairmen. Can't we make sears pay for the price we lost on that television. We already went out and bought a new set for $1500 I realise the price for a six year old television is only about $500-$600 but I would have rather have gave it to a family member if I was to only get $50
Thanks for listening.
Any advice?

diana

shortbus

You could conceivably file in small claims court for the difference between what the set was worth and what you got. It sounds like the repairman made a negligent assessment of its condition, and you relied on that assessment, to your detriment.

Sears can say their repairmen did a good job, it was just a fluke problem that nobody would ordinarily have seen.

You'd also have to prove with reasonable certainty your loss on the TV. You couldn't just say "I think we could've gotten $500".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">