• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gift card expiration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CATNAMEDMORRIS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? missouri

I have a gift card to a spa in a town I used to live in before I had my daughter. I have not had a chance to use it. I received a $40 spa gift card for Christmas in 2007 I think and I was hoping to use it soon. There is no expiration date on the card so I called the spa and they said that it was expired. I asked if they had any documentation that shows when their gift cards expire and the lady paused and said "no, that's just common knowledge". Can they refuse to redeem my gift card if there is nothing anywhere stating the expiration date?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? missouri

I have a gift card to a spa in a town I used to live in before I had my daughter. I have not had a chance to use it. I received a $40 spa gift card for Christmas in 2007 I think and I was hoping to use it soon. There is no expiration date on the card so I called the spa and they said that it was expired. I asked if they had any documentation that shows when their gift cards expire and the lady paused and said "no, that's just common knowledge". Can they refuse to redeem my gift card if there is nothing anywhere stating the expiration date?
Did you ask them or find out if they still offer gift cards ?

Hint : Have a friend call and if possible stop in and look at the gift cards .

If they do offer them and are the same type w/o expiration dates , just walk in there when you are ready and redeem it , w/o all the explanation of what yr./month you received it .

CATNAMEDMORRIS

thanks for the advice, that is what I was planning on doing; but as backup, so that I am prepared if they say no, I am trying to figure out if it is legal for them to refuse service.

BL

thanks for the advice, that is what I was planning on doing; but as backup, so that I am prepared if they say no, I am trying to figure out if it is legal for them to refuse service.
If they no longer offer or carry these services , yes they can refuse .

Also, it has been well over one year , and for 40 bucks it would not be worth the time and hassle.

Usually if one receives such a gift card , the recipient either uses such facilities , or is planning to in the near future .

You Are Guilty

If there's no expiration date listed on the card, and they give you a hard time about redeeming it, file a consumer complaint - it's free:
http://ago.mo.gov/newsreleases/2007/Consumer_alert_about_gift_cards/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">