• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Giving the Wrong Address "Fraud", assuming it was done afterward?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JohnToh

What is the name of your state? California

Here's the scenario: I made a sales agreement with a person, the person owes me $9000. Everything is legit and agreed upon, and I give him the goods. Later on, he informs me that he has changed his address, and gives me his new address. I don't hear from him again so I send a bill to his new address but I find out that it is a bogus address.

1) Is this considered a case of fraud, since he only provided the address after the deal was agreed upon? I understand fraud as providing false information to "induce" the loss of goods/money, but since the deal was done beforehand when it was correct information - would it be fraud?

2) is fraud considered a criminal case? If the person is caught, will he have a police record? Or is this still considered a civil dispute? I want to make sure he doesn't get away with it.

thanks for the help!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">