• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GMC Dealership Enables Vehicle Theft in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

califb

What is the name of your state? California
My next door neighbor purchased a brand new GMC 4WD pickup from a local GMC dealership three weeks ago. Two days later (on a Friday) they were told to bring the truck back in so they could install some extras on the vehicle. That same afternoon a person (a male hispanic) walked onto the lot and told an employee that they were sent by the owner of the vehicle to retrieve something from the truck. The employee asked for no identification and handed the keys to this person, who promptly drove away with the vehicle.

Three days later, on Monday afternoon, the dealership telephoned my neighbor and asked him to bring the truck back in so they could do the work. My neighbor told them he had dropped it off on Friday, to which the dealership replied that "no, you sent someone to pick it up". My neighbor told them that he had not done this.

The dealership claims no responsibility whatsoever for the theft and advised my neighbor to submit it to his insurance company for compensation. They did offer to sell him another vehicle and said "they would give him a really good deal". A police report has been filed but so far the truck has not been located. They contacted an attorney who told them that he could write a couple of letters for $3,000 but that was all he could do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

shortbus

The dealership acted negligently but unless you've got some evidence (video? witness?) about which employee gave the key & when, it's speculative.

The truck is gone. File with the insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">