• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandma purchased car for granddaughter and granddaughter is five months behind!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whateverman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Columbia SC

My grandmother took out a loan and purchased a car for my baby sister whose credit was awful. Grandma decided to allow baby sis to make payments directly to the car company. Baby sister has missed MANY payments and is now many months behind thus ruining grandma's credit. The vehicle is 100% in grandma's name. This weekend grandma demanded that baby sis turn over the car(to grandma) until the payments were caught up but baby sis refused and took the car. Also, sis is using old tags from another car so as not to be pulled over. And sis couldn't afford insurance herself so car company added it to her bill************** Should grandma report car to police as stolen or simply call a REPO company to retrieve the car and place it in her care(grandma)? What are the legalities (pros/cons) of each? HELP!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

Should grandma report car to police as stolen or simply call a REPO company to retrieve the car and place it in her care(grandma)? What are the legalities (pros/cons) of each?
'Report as stolen'....
Pros: None
Cons: Grandma gets charged with crime (false report)

Repo....
Pros: Gets car back and sells. Learns lesson to NOT do what she did.
Cons: Out expense of repo.

JETX

Someone might want to report to the police that she is driving with invalid tags.
Pros: Care gets taken off street and, HOPEFULLY, returned to 'grandma'.
Cons: Car is towed and impounded, Grandma has to pay. Also, Grandma gets ticket (as owner) and has to pay that also.

xylene

Let me guess - grandma also does not have the means to pay for the car loan she agreed to guarantee, despite having 'good' credit.

cosine

'Report as stolen'....
Pros: None
Cons: Grandma gets charged with crime (false report)
If the car is titled in grandma's name (OP didn't say) and if grandma asked for it back, then a refusal is equivalent to stolen. Grandma just needs to state the facts truthfully in whatever she reports.

JETX

If the car is titled in grandma's name (OP didn't say) and if grandma asked for it back, then a refusal is equivalent to stolen. Grandma just needs to state the facts truthfully in whatever she reports.

You cannot report a car stolen that was presented to the person who has it. And a refusal to return is NOT theft (it would be conversion... which does not apply in this case since ownership is established by title, not possession)!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If your grandmother doesn't want her in jail, the only option I see is calling the people the car is fianced through and tell them where it is, plain & simple. Sadly your grandma is still on the hook for it, though.

anhamilton1

Sad...sad

Sadly I am in the same situation...well sort of. Good people get stomped on all the time, but KARMA is a b*****. A good ole fashioned butt whoopin by big sissy sounds appropriate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">