• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

greyhound last my luggage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angelta8

What is the name of your state? NY

On January 6th I was traveling from albany to syracuse. When I reached Syracuse my luggage was missing. No employee did anything to find my luggage even though it has been missing for only three hours. The employees at the syracuse terminal give me some papers to fill out and they refuse to call bus stations between albany and syracuse becuase they claim my baggage will be on the next bus. I filled out all the correct paper mailed it into the main office, called customer service and made a report with them I even sent out letter to baggage claim and customer service. I have not heard from greyhound and baggage claim. Their customer service baggage claim number is an automated operator that says the mail box for baggage claim is full I will transfer you to a representative. After 3 mintues I here a dial tone. no representative from greyhound has returned any off my calls.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

angelta8 said:
What is the name of your state? NY

On January 6th I was traveling from albany to syracuse. When I reached Syracuse my luggage was missing. No employee did anything to find my luggage even though it has been missing for only three hours. The employees at the syracuse terminal give me some papers to fill out and they refuse to call bus stations between albany and syracuse becuase they claim my baggage will be on the next bus. I filled out all the correct paper mailed it into the main office, called customer service and made a report with them I even sent out letter to baggage claim and customer service. I have not heard from greyhound and baggage claim. Their customer service baggage claim number is an automated operator that says the mail box for baggage claim is full I will transfer you to a representative. After 3 mintues I here a dial tone. no representative from greyhound has returned any off my calls.
**A: and just how long did your luggage last?

A

angelta8

I don't understand your question but my suitcase was missing on jan 6th and now its jan 20th and i have not heard from a greyhound rep about my suitcase

dequeendistress

From Greyhound's website:

A claim for loss of or damage to baggage will not be paid unless filed in writing
within 30 days from the time the passenger arrived at the destination to which
the baggage was checked. Send the claim, along with the ticket and claim
check, to:

Greyhound Lines, Inc.
Baggage Tracing & Claims, MS470
P.O. Box 660691
Dallas, TX 75266-0691

Be sure to make a copy of these items for your personal records. Greyhound
will make immediate and diligent efforts to recover lost checked baggage. If the
lost checked baggage cannot be located within 15 days, Greyhound will
immediately process the matter as a claim. The date the tracing form was
received by the carrier or carrier's agent will be considered as the first day
commencing a 60-day period before which a claim will be settled. All claims for
lost baggage will be settled within 90 days from date carrier received tracing
form either by a firm offer of claim or a denial. Greyhound will acknowledge the
claim, in writing, within 30 days of receipt. A claim involving concealed and/or
exterior loss or damage must be filed within seven (7) days after delivery of the
baggage.

**Did you insure your baggage?

A

angelta8

I did not insure my baggage becuase I was not changing buses also that was the same route I always go on because I hate driving during the winter. I sent in a letter with a copy of my ticket to that address. I did not know i can insure my baggage with greyhound they never mention it like the airline would. They just give you tags for your bags and your bus ticket.

JETX

Actually, we would all like to thank you for your wonderful and thought provoking post. I was on the edge of my seat while reading it (damn, hemorrhoids!!)

Please feel free to write the forum next time, but we would appreciate at least SOME type of legal question in the future.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

JETX said:
Actually, we would all like to thank you for your wonderful and thought provoking post. I was on the edge of my seat while reading it (damn, hemorrhoids!!)

Please feel free to right the forum next time, but we would appreciate at least SOME type of legal question in the future.
**A: write on brother.

A

angelta8

mode of service outside of commonwealth proof of service

I am trying to sue grey hound dallas texas what do i need as proof of service

JETX

angelta8 said:
I am trying to sue grey hound dallas texas what do i need as proof of service
Well, first you have to file the lawsuit. Then, you have to serve them in accordance with the Rules of Civil Procedure. The person who serves the defendant then files the 'Proof of Service' with the court.

A

angelta8

lawsuit against greyhound

I filed the lawsuit but for this to proceed I need proof of service
the courts I filed suit with gave me this statement for the case to proceed

when the lawsuit of this commonwealth authorizes sevice outside this commonwealth the service when reasonably calculated to give actual notice may be made.
1. personal deliverly in the manner prescribed for service within the commonwealth
2. in the manner prescibed by the law of the place which the service is made for service in that place in an action in any of its courts of general jurisdiction
3. by any form of mail addressed to the person to be served and requiring a signed receipt

I do not know exactly what this statment means. I had a copy of my bus ticket and letters from greyhound, but what are the courts looking for and why did the turn me away to set another trial date without seeing the evidence I had? Is there something else I need?

I bought my ticket in Syracuse it was a round trip ticket to boston and back coming back from boston is when my suitcase was lost , but it was lost in New York.

Dandy Don

So what city and county are you filing suit in?

What steps did you take to try to resolve this with Greyhound before filing suit?

What is the value of the items you lost?

A

angelta8

I am filing suit in Brockton Mass that is where I live.

I took many steps, and got directed to many different people who basically did not give me the time of day then 3 months after the incident happen I got a phone call. By then it was too late then. 4 months later I got a letter fom greyhound saying they are not responsible. So I took them to court and here I am now.
I am a college student and I had puchased alot of new clothes and supplies for school this was in my suitcase. My school is located in a small town so clothes and supplies would cost alot more if I bought it there but I ended up buying everything all over again and paid alot more for them.
know I want to know what the courts are looking for I stated that earlier in my previous posting

Dandy Don

You have to send the information to the registered agent of Greyhound Corporation and to the headquarters office:

Headquarters is:
GREYHOUND LINES INC.
15110 N. DALLAS PKWAY, SUITE 600
DALLAS, TX 75248-4635

Address is to the attention of either PRES & CEO, MR. CRAIG R. LENTZSCH or VP OF CUSTOMER SERVICE, MR. TED F. BURK, and you are likely to get personalized attention to your situation.

The registered agent receives all important legal mail for the company and they will also contact Dallas office to inform them of this suit. Registered Agent is:

THE CORPORATION TRUST CO.
CORPORATION TRUST CENTER
1209 N. ORANGE ST.
WILMINGTON, DE 19801-1120

It will help your case if you have (in your own personal records) the original receipts or price estimates for the items that you had to get replaced.

Good luck to you--I hope you get a good financial recovery, and I congratulate you for standing up for your rights!!

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

JETX

Dandy Don said:
You have to send the information to the registered agent of Greyhound Corporation and to the headquarters office:

Headquarters is:
GREYHOUND LINES INC.
15110 N. DALLAS PKWAY, SUITE 600
DALLAS, TX 75248-4635
And of course, NONE of the advice by 'Dandy Don' is correct.

In this case, the entire transaction was inside the state of New York ("On January 6th I was traveling from albany to syracuse."). Therefore, NY has proper jurisdiction.

You need to send your notice of suit to the agent as registered with the New York Secretary of State. Their website is at: http://appsext5.dos.state.ny.us/corp_public/enter_search

Their records show the agent to be:
Greyhound Lines, Inc.
C/O CT Corporation System
111 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10011

You do NOT need to send notice of the lawsuit to Dallas, or address to any officer or director.

JETX

angelta8 said:
I am filing suit in Brockton Mass that is where I live.
I doubt that your filing in Massachusetts will be valid. Based on your original post, the entire transaction happened in New York state, which would have jurisdiction in the matter.

If you are going to take the chance that Massachusetts courts will deny jurisdiction and file there anyway, the registered agent for service in Massachusetts is:
CT Corporation System
101 Federal Street
Boston MA 02110

http://corp.sec.state.ma.us/corp/corpsearch/CorpSearchSummary.asp?ReadFromDB=True&UpdateAllowed=&FEIN=860572343

For more on the service of notice on a corporation in Massachusetts, go to: http://www.sec.state.ma.us/cor/corpweb/corsop/sopinf.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">