• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gym closed, can I get dues refunded?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sd2068

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My gym has announced that they are closing at the end of this month. I've prepaid through November, 2010 at a rate of about $30 a month. All members have received a letter that says my gym has negotiated an agreement with another local gym so we can all finish out our contracts. However the new gym's standard rate is only $10 a month. Not only that, I have no interest in joining this gym since they don't offer any fitness classes at all. That's the main reason I joined my original gym in the first place.

Am I entitled to a prorated refund of my dues for the last ten months of my contract? Does it matter that I've been offered membership in another gym, even though the value of ten months membership there is about $100, compared to the $300 value at my current gym?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

yes, you are due your refund. Whether you joined the club you did for the location, the services provided or the color of the building, it matters not. The fact is you joined this club and they are no longer providing services so they owe you a refund.

with one minor caveat: if there is any such stipulation in your member agreement that would allow the transfer, you are stuck with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">