• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gym contract requirements valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bolderrider

I signed a gym contract for a year. The contract states that after a year, in order to cancel your contract, you must send them a letter via registered mail. My question is this: Is it legal for them to specify the method of delivery? Could I not just show up at their doorstep with a letter stating I wanted to end my contract? I ask because, in order to not be charged for another month, I need to have notified them by the end of the day today. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your time!

_kirk

HomeGuru

bolderrider said:
I signed a gym contract for a year. The contract states that after a year, in order to cancel your contract, you must send them a letter via registered mail. My question is this: Is it legal for them to specify the method of delivery? Could I not just show up at their doorstep with a letter stating I wanted to end my contract? I ask because, in order to not be charged for another month, I need to have notified them by the end of the day today. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your time!

_kirk
**A: and what does your contract state? Why can't you send the registered letter out today?

B

bolderrider

They have told me that I need to send the letter to an address in Texas, I live in San Francisco. I didn't think I could get a registered letter to Texas by the end of the day. The contract does not state the address to which the letter must be sent, could I therefore send it to the local gym, rather than their billing office?

One related matter. The contract states that I must send them a registered letter 30 days before the billing date to end my contract. It doesn't say what that does to the last months membership dues that I had to pay up front. They are saying (on the phone) that I have to give them TWO months notice in order to get my last months membership dues to cover my last month. It doesn't say anything about this in the contract. Thanks for your help!

_kirk

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">