• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gym has been charging for tanning for 9 months after canceling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plathw

I live in Tennessee, Hamilton County

Last december, after the men's tanning being broken for almost 6 weeks, I canceled my tanning with then. I remember it very well, that the manager "couldn't" refund that lost month, but would give me a free month. HECK NO! I canceled, ate the $25 for that month.

Then, 9 months later I changed my credit card...I've been bad about going to the gym, and it was 2 months before I went in to get things up to date, and found out that tanning was never taken off.

It took three weeks of persistent calling/emails to finally get to someone that could help me and get them to respond (they literally just never got back with me for days, and were never there when I called).

Well, I got the manager's manager, and he is offering $0 refund, and a free 6 months of tanning, which is a huge slap in the face. No apology for the delay, no nothing.

He said without documentation (which, after a year, I do not have) he can do nothing but the free tanning.

Any thing I can do?

Last edited:

Antigone*

I live in Tennessee, Hamilton County

Last december, after the men's tanning being broken for almost 6 weeks, I canceled my tanning with then. I remember it very well, that the manager "couldn't" refund that lost month, but would give me a free month. HECK NO! I canceled, ate the $25 for that month.

Then, 9 months later I changed my credit card...I've been bad about going to the gym, and it was 2 months before I went in to get things up to date, and found out that tanning was never taken off.

It took three weeks of persistent calling/emails to finally get to someone that could help me and get them to respond (they literally just never got back with me for days, and were never there when I called).

Well, I got the manager's manager, and he is offering $0 refund, and a free 6 months of tanning, which is a huge slap in the face. No apology for the delay, no nothing.

He said without documentation (which, after a year, I do not have) he can do nothing but the free tanning.

Any thing I can do?
You dropped the ball here by not looking at your credit card statement for months (that alone is nuts in these times)

Without proof you don't have much recourse.

You might want to ask your credit card company if they are willing to charge n of these amounts back. They might be willing to help with 2 months worth.

plathw

Well. on my statement it is a separate charge from the guy bill, and has the same title. I should have noticed it, but I shouldn't have had to be watching for it. Yes, I should have caught it, but that should not be an agument in their favor.

What about doing a small claims court suit? My credit card will only do the last 6 months, and then they can dispute it and bring me right back to the same place.

1) It was broken, and I have an email stating that they know it was broken for the whole month (so the service wasn't even available)
2) I KNOW I canceled it
3) I have not used it for this entire year, but was at the gym a couple times a week.

Does that give me a case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">