• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gym membership contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JessicaGM0404

What is the name of your state? Alabama.
Hi. In January of 2005, when I was 18 years old, I signed a gym membership contract with a new gym in my neighborhood. I mainly chose this gym because of its convenient location and the access to personal training that was available. Once I began using the facilities, I found the very small size of this gym to be rather invansive. One of the male owners would always watch me workout through his office by my reflection in the mirrors, and it was really creepy!! :eek: So anyway, I stopped going in April after the month I had paid for expired. I didn't return after that, but they charged my credit card for the month of May, which I never used, and attempted to charge for June and July, but my card was maxed out, so it wouldn't go through. They have since sent me a letter saying that if I do not remit payment to them by the 15th (tomorrow) that my account will be turned over to collections. My question is, that since it is stated in Title 26 Chapter 1 Section 1 of the Alabama code of law that the age of majority in Alabama is 19, is the contract still valid since I signed it when I was 18? And the alabama code of law also says this: Defenses and claims in recoupment.
(a) Except as stated in subsection (b), the right to enforce the obligation of a party to pay an instrument is subject to the following:

(1) A defense of the obligor based on (i) infancy of the obligor to the extent it is a defense to a simple contract

What does this mean? I think it may be relevant. Thanks so much for any help that anyone can offer. I tried to contact several attorneys but they are very hard to get in touch with!!
Thanks,
Jessica

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">