• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gyrm Membership Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lauty1981

State of Massachusetts
I signed up for a Gym membership about a month and thought it was suppossed to be for two months just for the summer. However, I received my credit card bill and got another charge only to find out that they actually signed me up for a 24 month membership. I am looking at the contract and there is no length of the contract. In fact, it actually says" I understand that I am signing a ____ month contract, and the girl who signed me up had me initial in the blank instead of writing 24 or 2. Also, it does not say that I owe any additional money or that there will be a payment schedule. However, at the bottom of the contract there is a renewal date that says 6/7/07, 24 months from now, and they keep telling me that means it stands. Does that really constitute it being a 24 month contract? I didn't think it would but I don't know for sure.
Thanks,
Chris

lauty1981

I was under the belief that i was paying just one lump paymnet, and there is no indication on the contract that there would be monthly payments that needed to be made. All it says is total paid: $99.98, nothing else due and nothing that would be due in the future.

lauty1981

Well its a lengthy contract but in regards to the payment there is a box with the header EFT Billing Information. In the box it has mastercard checked off then my credit card number and expiration date. Then it gets into payment details which for the most part were left blank. It was something like this:

Enrollment__________________________________
The remainder of this month_____amt. pd._____________
Your 1st motnh you have paid for__________amt. pd.____________
Your 2nd month you have paid for ________ amt. pd.___________
You will pay __________ dollars for the next ___________months.
Your 1st easy funds transfer will be on______________.
Total Paid__$99.98____
Renewal Date ____6/7/07_______

The rest of the contracts are rules and rights to cancellation. It says I am not allowed to cancel the contract unless I meet 1 of the 4 criteria which I done. And the last part of the writing also says this:
I understand that I am signing a __CL__ month contract. The membership is nonrefundable, noncancellable, and nontransferable exept as specifically provided in this agreement. Initial __CL__. The dumb teenage girl that works there told me to initial before the month.
So can they hold me to the 24 month contract just based on the renewal date. If anything I think the contract reads that I would just have to pay 99.98 for that time period. Thanks for your help.
-Chris

pammness

lauty1981 said:
Well its a lengthy contract but in regards to the payment there is a box with the header EFT Billing Information. In the box it has mastercard checked off then my credit card number and expiration date. Then it gets into payment details which for the most part were left blank. It was something like this:

Enrollment__________________________________
The remainder of this month_____amt. pd._____________
Your 1st motnh you have paid for__________amt. pd.____________
Your 2nd month you have paid for ________ amt. pd.___________
You will pay __________ dollars for the next ___________months.
Your 1st easy funds transfer will be on______________.
Total Paid__$99.98____
Renewal Date ____6/7/07_______

The rest of the contracts are rules and rights to cancellation. It says I am not allowed to cancel the contract unless I meet 1 of the 4 criteria which I done. And the last part of the writing also says this:
I understand that I am signing a __CL__ month contract. The membership is nonrefundable, noncancellable, and nontransferable exept as specifically provided in this agreement. Initial __CL__. The dumb teenage girl that works there told me to initial before the month.
So can they hold me to the 24 month contract just based on the renewal date. If anything I think the contract reads that I would just have to pay 99.98 for that time period. Thanks for your help.
-Chris
ALL THAT WAS LEFT BLANK???
IF so, when they billed you again was it for the same amount ? the 99.98 ???

lauty1981

Yes all of that was left blank, and no they charged me 24.99 not the 99.98 that I was charged initially. The initial charge was 50 for first time regisitration and 24.98 for the next two months. The girl said I had to pay for two months cause initially I just wanted to do one at a time and she said I had to pay for the first and last month.

pammness

hate to say this hun

It looks like your BIGGEST mistake was leaving there with all the empty holes. You are stuck in this contract, the only thing you may ever be able to do is if you have any medical reason a doctor would say would prevent you from using the faciliaties.... If you could get that, you need him/her to write you a letter as to what it is and why you cannot use the gym. The amounts you paid and the date at the bottom have you.... You left there knowing it was dated to expire in 2007.... I wish I could be of more help , but not much you can do except enjoy your mistake as best you can.....NEVER leave a place without every spot on a contract completed.....

Last edited:

lauty1981

ok so I am stuck there for the 24 months however, since it says I don't owe any money would it be fair to say that the 99.98 that I intially paid was for the whole tenure of the contract? I never agreed to monthly debits from my account.

pammness

contact me asap

I have been investigating this to great length... I got some great news for you but could not e-mail it as your not aol member :(

pammness

e-mail me

E-mail me at aol..... It is rather lengthy to post here
I have 2 waiting e-mails full of information for you !!!! ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">