• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hand written contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

butterfly06

What is the name of your state? illinois

i gave a gentleman here in town money to purchase an engine for my car. he works on cars for people in town in cash.

anyway, i give him money to purchase and engine, we write a handwritten contract saying that i, Name, gave Name 800 US dollars for the purchase of an engine. We date and it and sign it.

He tells me he went to the junkyard and they sent the wrong engine. The week after that he later tells me that the engine is going to cost more because the junkyard upped the price. (which makes no sense in retrospect) So I give him 250 more dollars and we draw up another contract.

Anyway, I am antsy he tells me he picked up the engine and will work on it over the weekend. To doublecheck, we called the junkyard. they told us that the engine only cost 800, it was not picked up, and 340 more dollars is owed on it.

i confront him and he tells me the junkyard lied and he will come get my car Saturday afternoon. I ask him to bring the receipt with him. He told me he would be at my house on time. i wait at home until 6 and leave messages on his phone. i even left a message with his wife.

i still have not heard from him.

Because he works on cars and get's cash, no wages will probably be garnished. I know if I win a claim and he does not pay he may face jailtime. My question is is the handwritten contract valid and if he goes to jail instead of paying me my money, would the debt be voided. I'd rather have my money than send him to jail.

I know nothing about the law and did not use good sense. Please help. I want to know what to expect. No law firm is open on the weekend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">