• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

harassment by rent-a-center

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuRu0886

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
the state im in is Arizona

here the situation.....

my girlfriend and i rent a tv from rent a cent and became 7 days late,when i called to make a payment the manager refused to accept it because he also wanted the next weeks payment in advance,after talking with him he finally accepted my paymentMoney has been a little tight so we became late again on the 6th day they show up to my apartment at 9:00pm only asking for my girlfriend.(are they allowed to come collect after 9pm after business hours?and before they knocked they called me from their personal cell phone and blocked the number).my girlfriends sister asnswerd the door and told them she wasn't there,10 minutes went by and she went outside to smoke a cigarette,and the guy from RAC was pacing back and forth.she told the guy why are you still here,he ssaid he's waiting for his friend to show up because they want the tv back.she told them well if your waiting for them she was going to call the police because she didn't feel comfortable with them standing outside the apartment waiting,so he walked off.I was home at this time getting ready for work so as i walk out to my vehicle there were 2 RAC trucks and 3 people from RAC outside waiting outside.they had purposly parked both trucks behind my vehicle to pervent me to leave.I asked them to move because i had to go to work,they were in uniform.They lady from RAC said we are not leavin till we get our tv back or I give them a payment right then and there.(are they allowed to ask for a payment after 9:00pm and block me in?)i asked the lady what time they closed and she said 7pm,then i ask her what they were doing here after 9pm,she replied we are always out this late,i said thats not what i asked you so i asked her again and she gave me the same answer..So then i told her im not giving them a payment in the parking lot after business hours.She said fine we can go to the store and i can pay it there,i told well you just told me you close at 7,the driver said fine we will just call the cops i said fine im a bouncer and i work with maricopa county sherrifs call the cops,i had my security shirt on..So the lady starts dailing and i asked her if she was calling the cops,so i can wait for them to show up,she said no,im calling my boss so he can tell you(me) that the store is open.Soi said you told me you close at 7,your always out this late(past 9pm) now your store is open.I told her i would go into the store to give them a payment just so they would move their trucks so i can get to work,they said fine we will follow you to make sure you go to the store..Well they tried to follow but i hoped on the freeway and went to work anyway..then the following day i hear bangin on my door so i wake up and guess who,RAC.i never looked out the peephole to see if it was them or not but i assumed it was cuz nobody else would be knocking like that.i didn't answer cuz i was tired from work and tried going back to sleep this is around 9 in the morning..so i go lay down on my bed n about 15 minutes of knocking he goes around the building and starts banging on my bedroom window..now im still halfway asleep and i dont know the person and i didnt know if it was RAC ,to me that sounds like someone is trying to break in..so at this point im heated because i fell like he has no right to knock on my beedroom window.by the time i get dressed put on shoes and whatever he gone,luckily because i was going to stomp a mudhole in this guy..Im pretty sure in the state of arizona if some one comes up to your car window yelling and screaming you have the right to shoot them.because it is a happy gun law state..to me this is kinda the same thing..anyways tell me if you think this is right or some type of harassment....id understand if i was extremely late but only 7 days......

CourtClerk

First of all, I wasn't aware that Maricopa County Sheriff's employed bouncers... interesting. I'll need to confirm that one.

However, Rent A Center should stop coming to your house. Monday morning, they should just sue you and your girlfriend (or whoever is on the contract). Once they get the judgment for the merchandise, they will stop collecting.

I find it ironic that you are complaining about them, but you and your girlfriend breached the contract. I don't know if you realize this, but if you pay your bills on time, they won't come. If you can't afford it, give them back their merchandise. If you give it back, then they won't come. However, you have no right to keep their merchandise and not pay for it according to the terms YOU and your girlfriend agreed to.

las365

Live within your means. Take the TV back to rent-a-center. Save some money. Buy a TV. Don't think that you get to assault someone for knocking on your bedroom window.

Nativity

You are not just 7 days late, you stated this is your second time being late, you have shown them you can no longer make your payments as you claimed when you set them up. They want their property back, you will be charged with theft of leased property. You had ample time to give them their property back which would have allowed them to leave you alone, you have no one to blame but yourself.

If you cannot afford it, return it, if you can pay it. But I can assume after the way you've handled yourself they will no longer want the payment or your business but their property back instead.

BL

Read your policy .

Rent a center will keep coming back to retrieve their property .

This is not like a CC purchase .

Let them take it back .

Plus , can't you put some paragraphs in your post , with spaces ?

Last edited:

RuRu0886

court clerk

this is for the court clerk...
there is no such thing as maricopa county employed bouncers..i never said that they did employ bouncers..i said i work with them.they stay outside in the parking lot and i do talk to them

CourtClerk

this is for the court clerk...
there is no such thing as maricopa county employed bouncers..i never said that they did employ bouncers..i said i work with them.they stay outside in the parking lot and i do talk to them
If all you do is run your mouth while they sit outside, you do not WORK with them. You are not their coworker. You made that statement as if you being some security guard gives you some pull with law enforcement. Please don't elevate your status to those who actually put their lives on the line...:rolleyes:

swrdmbo

I find it amazing that you write to complain about how this company does business...but you admit to lying to them..right to their faces.

You told them you were going to make a payment just so they would move their cars??

You are irritated with them??Wish they could post how they feel about you!!

You have not lived up to your contract...give them back the TV.

RuRu0886

I find it amazing that you write to complain about how this company does business...but you admit to lying to them..right to their faces.

You told them you were going to make a payment just so they would move their cars??

You are irritated with them??Wish they could post how they feel about you!!

You have not lived up to your contract...give them back the TV.

would you give someone a payment in cash outside your house or apartment complex,if you do then your an idiot..now why would i go into their office 2 hours after they close and make a payment,thats just dumb..i am trying to make arrangements with them but they are not trying to work with me..thats why i am giving the t.v back

BL

would you give someone a payment in cash outside your house or apartment complex,if you do then your an idiot..now why would i go into their office 2 hours after they close and make a payment,thats just dumb..i am trying to make arrangements with them but they are not trying to work with me..thats why i am giving the t.v back
Read you policy .

They DO - NOt have to make arrangments with you .

You want to keep a rental item , outside the policy .

Give it back , as you should have done when they came to claim it back .

RuRu0886

If all you do is run your mouth while they sit outside, you do not WORK with them. You are not their coworker. You made that statement as if you being some security guard gives you some pull with law enforcement. Please don't elevate your status to those who actually put their lives on the line...:rolleyes:

i am trying to work with them,i am trying to make arrangments but its kinda hard if they don't try to work with me..I have no clue were you thought i was runing my mouth not once did i do that..i spoke with them correctly i did not raise my vioce i did not get out of line so read it over again and this time read it right..i do not lie,i hate people who do lie especially when they lie on me,saying i said or did something that i didn't do..so don't say all i do is sit there and run my mouth..i did tell them i was goin into the store to make a payment only so they can move thier trucks so i can go to work..So why would i go into their office two hours after they close and make a payment.i have nothing but respect for the officers that put their lives on the line but with all do respect im not the one who chose the job for them.also i have no respect for all those dirty cops and there are alot of them out there and everyone knows it..

Last edited by a moderator:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
i am trying to work with them,i am trying to make arrangments but its kinda hard if they don't try to work with me..I have no clue were you thought i was runing my mouth not once did i do that..i spoke with them correctly i did not raise my vioce i did not get out of line so read it over again and this time read it right..i do not lie,i hate people who do lie especially when they lie on me,saying i said or did something that i didn't do..so don't say all i do is sit there and run my mouth..i did tell them i was goin into the store to make a payment only so they can move thier trucks so i can go to work..So why would i go into their office two hours after they close and make a payment.i have nothing but respect for the officers that put their lives on the line but with all do respect im not the one who chose the job for them.also i have no respect for all those dirty cops and there are alot of them out there and everyone knows it.
Grow up and honor your obligations. Time to be a big boy now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">