• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Has anyone used RL Stevens to find employment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nadian

What is the name of your state? IN

I am getting ready to pay a large fee for RL Stevens (an employment placement/marketing firm) to aid in my search for employment. The services they have to offer sound like its legit but they have a confidentiality clause where you can't call former clients for references which makes it difficult to make a decision. In the Indianapolis office they have only had one complaint which was resolved with the BBB. Supposedly, 10-12% of their clients are lawyers so I'm hoping to find someone who has used them in the past with some advice about the value of their services. thank you

You Are Guilty

Wait. You're paying the employment agency?

You do know that employment agencies are paid by the companies that hire the people referred to them via the agency, not the other way around?

I'd look elsewhere.

N

nadian

Thats the thing though...

The companies (or at least the ones I've talked to) don't pay them a fee at all...they are not a headhunter.

You Are Guilty

The rule of thumb is when something feels "weird", it ususally is. The fact that there's a "confidentiality" clause for references means I would have left smoking skid marks from running away (on the floor, that is).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although I have heard of RL Stevens, I have never used them; nor do I know anyone who has.

Since it is a part of my job function to hire employees, that fact should say something to you.

I would strongly recommend that you work with a company that is paid for by the employER, not by you.

Prosecution101

Yes, I've used R.L. Stevens

Several months ago, I was at the 4 month mark in my job search. I knew what I was doing in my job search wasn't working, but had no idea what I needed to change.

I looked into several career counseling firms but RL Stevens had the best reputation by far and a guarantee to go along with it.

I was skeptical going in, but knew I had to do something different. I wanted out of practicing law, but couldn't seem to get noticed in other types of positions.

Immediately my resume was rewritten - as my counselor said "positioning me for where I was going - not where I was coming from." I had a hard time believing it was me, I looked great on paper! Comparing my resume to theirs : Night vs. Day! As soon as I started sending it out, I got responses.

My interviewing skills were terrible, though I didn't know it. Thankfully they helped me there too.

I wanted out of my previous position so bad, I won't even tell you how low I was willing to go in salary.

I admit, I didn't wholeheartedly believe the RL Stevens process would work, but being at the end of my rope, I knew I had to do something differently. Only 9 short weeks later, I got the ideal job for me and INCREASED my pay by 23%!

Now, I am using RL Stevens to help fill jobs in my new company. Send RL Stevens your open positions and they'll send candidates to us at no cost to my company. You can imagine how I look like a hero now here with all the $$ I have saved the company from recruiting and advertising costs.

I believe 110% in RL Stevens and recommend them to you too.

mrtoledo

Prosecution101 said:
Several months ago, I was at the 4 month mark in my job search. I knew what I was doing in my job search wasn't working, but had no idea what I needed to change.

I looked into several career counseling firms but RL Stevens had the best reputation by far and a guarantee to go along with it.

I was skeptical going in, but knew I had to do something different. I wanted out of practicing law, but couldn't seem to get noticed in other types of positions.

Immediately my resume was rewritten - as my counselor said "positioning me for where I was going - not where I was coming from." I had a hard time believing it was me, I looked great on paper! Comparing my resume to theirs : Night vs. Day! As soon as I started sending it out, I got responses.

My interviewing skills were terrible, though I didn't know it. Thankfully they helped me there too.

I wanted out of my previous position so bad, I won't even tell you how low I was willing to go in salary.

I admit, I didn't wholeheartedly believe the RL Stevens process would work, but being at the end of my rope, I knew I had to do something differently. Only 9 short weeks later, I got the ideal job for me and INCREASED my pay by 23%!

Now, I am using RL Stevens to help fill jobs in my new company. Send RL Stevens your open positions and they'll send candidates to us at no cost to my company. You can imagine how I look like a hero now here with all the $$ I have saved the company from recruiting and advertising costs.

I believe 110% in RL Stevens and recommend them to you too.
Not that it means anything but this user just joined the forum today, and this is is first and only post...

caune

Outplacement vs. headhunter

A point of clarification:

Recruiters (headhunters) are paid by the company to find a person who meets detailed specifications for a particular job. They receive 150-400 emails per day with resumes from anyone who wants the one to five high paying jobs they are currently working. When they negotiate your pay for you, they get a cut of any amount they can save the company.

Outplacement firms like R.L. Stevens are paid by individuals to help them to find a more satisfying and better paying job: career advancement. They groom the individual's resume, image, interviewing skills, and help them negotiate for more than the initial offer. Most importantly, they're there to encourage you when you get frustrated and feel totally alone, and can't figure out what you're doing wrong. When you allow them to help you negotiate, about half the time, the increased pay covers their services, and the following years the increase is to your benefit. A third of the time, people who are unemployed get jobs that pay a little less than they were making before they were fired. (Nobody leaves a job for less pay elsewhere, obviously.) The remainder usually think they know it all, and fail to stay in touch with the company. So, obviously, no one can guarantee results; they can only guarantee they'll stick with you through the tough times.

So, judge for yourself how much some people know about this industry.

Last month I helped someone move from a $95K to a $300K job. On the other hand, I also have a regular flow of people who already know it all and can't be taught. They get online and complain, while we protect the confidentiality of those who were smart enough to do what we told them. We're not magicians who give you a potion, and you get a job. To be successful, you have to learn the other 75% of what you assume you already know. Half informed is dangerous to your career. It takes some work, but lawyers are the toughest because they are trained to argue everything, to their own loss. http://www.linkedin.com/in/christopheraune

Last edited:

moburkes

Who are you clarifying for? The OP is no longer a member, and this post is 3 years old. I'm quite sure that OP has made a decision by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">