• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health club membership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ssnowball

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I purchased a health club membership for my son a local gym, hehas had memberships on and off at this club for over 1 year. My older son also had a membership a while back, during the month of June he decided to take something from a consumer which did not belong to him, creating a bad situation for our whole family. My husband nor I have memberships my son has an individual one. My son who got in the trouble no longer goes to the gym quite obviously, but my younger son does. The owner called me and stated that my younger son could not come and they would refund my contract fee. Can they forbid or refuse him entry to the health club? He is a good kid, hior student with out any prior troubles at school or anywhere else. The owner was quite ruse to say the least. Please let me know what to do. I have the signed contract and have alreay paid the fees he has been going to the gym for a week already. The gym is a franchise Gold' Gym.

JETX

"The owner called me and stated that my younger son could not come and they would refund my contract fee. Can they forbid or refuse him entry to the health club?"
*** Yes. Their business is just like any other and can deny service or entry to anyone that they want, as long as it is not done in discrimination.

"He is a good kid, hior student with out any prior troubles at school or anywhere else. The owner was quite ruse to say the least. Please let me know what to do."
*** Make sure that you get a cancellation of the contract with a promise of a refund of the appropriate amount in writing. There is really nothing else you can do. Except maybe slap the crap out of the one who's stupidity caused this problem.

S

ssnowball

discrimination

but is that not discrimination, passing judgment on one who did nothing?

JETX

"but is that not discrimination, passing judgment on one who did nothing?"
*** No. Discrimination is defined in civil rights law as unfavorable or unfair treatment of a person or class of persons in comparison to others who are not members of the protected class because of race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, physical/mental handicap, sexual harassment, sexual orientation or reprisal for opposition to discriminatory practices.

Though you might think that the actions by management is 'unfair', it is not prohibited. And the owner of the business has the right to limit access or entry to anyone that they want.... as long as it is not done in violation of the above.

Your situation isn't.

S

ssnowball

Discrimination is defined in civil rights law as unfavorable or unfair treatment of a person or class of persons in comparison to others
This seems as though it would be discrimination based on the fact that he he discriminating against one for the actions of another.

JETX

Okay, let me make this VERY simple....
This is NOT discrimination. The business owner has the right to bar entry to anyone he wants, as long as it is not in violation of RACE, SEX, AGE, DISABILITY, etc.
Which of these 'protected' classes does your 'other' son belong???

S

ssnowball

I believe it is a form of discrimination! A minor being held accountable for a siblings actions or issues. I sure hope ONE day you have a child who is judged based on what SOMEONE in his family does! I am sure there are many parents brothers or sisters who have siblings or relatives who have done wrong and they are not judged by it! Especially when you were on the other side of the country when the incident happened!

JETX

"I believe it is a form of discrimination! A minor being held accountable for a siblings actions or issues."
*** If you feel it is, then gather together a couple of thousand dollars, get an attorney and file a lawsuit. Apparently, that is the ONLY way you will be shown to your satisfaction.

S

ssnowball

I will let you know! It costs nothing for this type of representation, I have spoke with an attorney. So I guess I won't need the couple of thousand dollars, but like I said to discriminate against a minor for their relatives offense is ridiculous! He cann't help who he is related too, that does not make him the same type of person, you are quite bitter youself!

JETX

See how easy it is for you to lie on this forum??
As of yesterday, you were just an indignant "Thats not fair" whiner.
Now, here on Sunday, you claim to now have an attorney representing your 'claim' for free (or low cost).
Next thing we know, you will be claiming that you got a huge settlement and all is well.

In any case, you are wrong. This is NOT discrimination as defined by any law. Nor is there even a shred of truth in your claim of having spoken with an attorney. With that lie, I think we can see why your kids have so many problems.

S

ssnowball

I have a friend who is an attorney, so do not call me a liar! I posted on here for additional advice, I have spoke with a "friend" who is an attorney! But I do think a bitter person as yourself who gets on here trying to make others feel like idiots has far more problems! I have kids and NO they are not perfect and I have never stated such! but I can face the issues the have without running and hiding and simple name calling!

S

ssnowball

I have a friend who is an attorney, so do not call me a liar! I posted on here for additional advice, I have spoke with a "friend" who is an attorney! But I do think a bitter person as yourself who gets on here trying to make others feel like idiots has far more problems! I have kids and NO they are not perfect and I have never stated such! but I can face the issues the have without running and hiding and simple name calling!

S

ssnowball

S

ssnowball

S

ssnowball

Yes dude, I did speak to a "Friend" who is an attorney, hard for you to believe you are the only one with knowledge! how dare you come on here and call me a liar!

My kids sure they are not perfect, but NO they are not laden with problems, like a bitter person such as you.

The problem I was looking into, which I hope one day you have to deal with! I have one kid who is a great kid, and one who crosses the line from time to time, it is very hard for the younger one to always come from behind the one who walks the line. He should NOT be judged for it! Regardless of what you think.

So do not get on here calling me a "LIAR"

"you don't judge one for some one else's problem!"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">