• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

heating oil service contract question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anonoilhater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new jersey

hi. i tried asking this on the free advice section but there seems to be a javascript error preventing me from submitting the form. here's the text of the question as i entered it there:

question: if i am liable for debt a company claims, what legal steps to expect from them and total risk if i lose. amt + 18% interest +fees ~$175 original bill

details: contract was signed effective 10/1/2007 - 10/1/2008 for oil heat burner service contract year round service at $175. in aug and sept of 08 they called several times to schedule cleaning of burner. at end of sept i scheduled with them and they performed cleaning. i did not renew the contract on 10/1/2008 and now they claim i owe them for the cleaning. contract does not state only one cleaning and they called me to schedule before end of contract. contract says self renewing on my acceptance of renewal invoice which i did not accept. they sent to credit collector who i've refused to pay.

the crux of the problem i think is whether the year round contract i signed covers only a single boiler cleaning. my opinion is that since it doesn't explicitly state only a single cleaning then it would cover multiple cleanings. they obviously think the opposite. however since they contacted me several times to schedule a 2nd cleaning before i had renewed the contract this implies to me that the contract would cover two cleanings.

in any case, since i've refused to pay the debt collector they are no threating legal proceedings. besides knowing whether i'm in the right, i'd also like to know what form the legal proceedings can take and what my total liability would be should i lose.

thanks in advance for any advice offered.

as a side note, i did continue to buy my oil from them for the next year as a condition of a proguard tank insurance contract which became effective when a leak was discovered in the tank.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">