• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rfearly

Hey Everybody! I sold a car to a co-worker of mine and she has yet to pay me all the money. I have a signed bill of sale which states that she must pay all money by 07/13/01. It is now 09/25/01 and I haven't seen the rest of my money. I wasn't very bright and signed over the title already but have since gone to the DMV and voided that title and received a new one under my name. I have lost all patience with this lady and am thinking about going to repo the car. Does anyone have any advice on how to perform this repo and if so is it legal? By the way she will be leaving town in a week so there is no time for a small claim to be filed.

JETX

Hey You!!!
How did you 'void' the signed title??? Did you say it was lost or missing and get a duplicate??

If so, you have really 'muddied' the water... you can't repo since she can claim that SHE has a signed title from you. And until the title issue is resolved, you could be arrested for car theft.. and let the courts solve the issue.

I suggest you move REALLY fast and file a complaint against her and get it served before she moves.

R

rfearly

Hey there!

I voided the title because she never switched the name over and registered it in her own name. So now that title is void and unusable. The Police, in fact, told me to do that right away.

In fact I made another huge mistake by forgetting to take the plates off of it and she refused to give them to me so I had to call the police to come down and get them.

She is a real Winner!!!

JETX

Yo, HO!!
You still haven't answered my question about HOW you managed to get the original (signed over) title voided and a new one issued.

I can't imagine your state DMV issuing a new title if you said, "I sold my car and signed over the title; however, she hasn't paid me so I just want to void the old one". I CAN imagine someone saying, "I lost my original title, would you issue a new one and void the old?".

What you have probably done, is cause a situation where there are now TWO titles to the vehicle. Very confusing to the authorities when they come out to take HER auto theft complaint (and she shows them a VALID signed title).

Whether she has paid you or whether she is wrong in not transferring the title properly will probably come out in your criminal trial for auto theft. And though you might be okay after all of the ordeal, you will still have paid BUCKS for a lawyer to defend you.

Do you see the problem that MIGHT occur???

R

rfearly

Hey!

I do see the problem that this situation might cause but even the lady at the DMV said that it was fine if they haven't registered the signed title. She stated that when the cops run it through they would show that the title was invalid.

The lady at the DMV said that this happens a lot and not to worry about anything.

It's an interesting situation

R

rfearly

Hey!

I do see the problem that this situation might cause but even the lady at the DMV said that it was fine if they haven't registered the signed title. She stated that when the cops run it through they would show that the title was invalid.

The lady at the DMV said that this happens a lot and not to worry about anything.

It's an interesting situation

JETX

YO!

And you are now right back where you started... except with a potential 'gotcha'.

Do you remedy 'self-help' by repossessing the vehicle with your only protection against a possible auto theft charge being 'some' lady at DMV; or
Do you forget about the unpaid debt and move on; or
Do you RUN real fast down and file a civil complaint against her and try to get her served before she leaves????

Decisions, decisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">