• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP -- Can't get previous owner to release title to boat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jl3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

2 months ago purchased a boat/motor and trailer from "Bob"

When I went to register the boat in my name it had title issues so I met w Bob and he took the titles and
properly registered the boat in his name

I have his signature on copies of the titles that he has originals and my name is on the original copies

I have the boat/motor and trailer in my garage, the trailer is registered in my name - the boat is in his name

TX parks and wildlife confirms he has the title in his name

Bob refuses to return my calls, and won't send me the titles or meet w me

What can I do? How do I get the titles or return the boat?

FlyingRon

There isn't a title on the trailer in Texas, correct? That's why you were able to get that registered to you.

Why on EARTH would you lug the owner to register the boat in HIS name? What was the issue that keeps him from signing over the title to you (in Texas it doesn't even need to be notarized though if you dragged him along to wildlife that wouldn't have been a problem).

At this point you possess the boat, but you don't own it.

Jl3

There isn't a title on the trailer in Texas, correct? That's why you were able to get that registered to you.

Why on EARTH would you lug the owner to register the boat in HIS name? What was the issue that keeps him from signing over the title to you (in Texas it doesn't even need to be notarized though if you dragged him along to wildlife that wouldn't have been a problem).

At this point you possess the boat, but you don't own it.

Yes you are correct, no title for trailer required in Texas; and yes you are correct, I posses the boat, but own it.

The purpose of this post is to learn if there is anything other than my charm - a legal basis that I can leverage to influence the "Bob" to either sign over the title, or refund the purchase and return the boat.

The issue with the title, is he jumped the taxes on it last year, and it was reported by the original owner that he was the purchaser - not me- so TX Parks and Wildlife would not issue the title to me directly, it had to pass through him and he had to pay taxes, before it could be transferred to me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes you are correct, no title for trailer required in Texas; and yes you are correct, I posses the boat, but own it.

The purpose of this post is to learn if there is anything other than my charm - a legal basis that I can leverage to influence the "Bob" to either sign over the title, or refund the purchase and return the boat.

The issue with the title, is he jumped the taxes on it last year, and it was reported by the original owner that he was the purchaser - not me- so TX Parks and Wildlife would not issue the title to me directly, it had to pass through him and he had to pay taxes, before it could be transferred to me.
Sue the bad guy.

FlyingRon

If it is not titled to you, you DO NOT OWN IT. You have a contract (and absent anything in writing, a harder to enforce one) to purchase it but that purchase has not been completed.
That's the key issue that you omitted. Next question, how much is the boat worth?
If the boat is worth less the the small claims limit, I'd file there.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If it is not titled to you, you DO NOT OWN IT. You have a contract (and absent anything in writing, a harder to enforce one) to purchase it but that purchase has not been completed.
It's really not that simple. If the OP has a valid sales agreement and has paid for it, then he does "own it". The state may not recognize his ownership, but he does own it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">