• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with Computer Purchase!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Vick77

What is the name of your state? NY
hi, i bought a laptop for my brother yesterday and when i opened the box , some of the wrappers were opened including the laptop wrapper and in addition it was the wrong model that i had payed for. the store doesnt accept any computer returns.
but the thing is i paid through credit card and i think i can stop the transfer because i think it can be stooped within 3 days after the purchase but not sure? can you please help me with what to do? :(

JETX

Contact the store and advise them of the problem. Ask that they replace the purchase with the correct model. Of course, they will probably claim that you swapped the items. Be sure to get the owners name and contact information.

You may also just be dealing with a clerk or manager who is a jerk. I assume that this is a 'mom-and-pop' local store. If correct, get hold of your county clerk/registrar and get the contact information for the owner. Send the owner a letter (copy to the store), detailing the problem and what you want them to do to resolve it. Give them a specific deadline to contact you (7 days after receipt?). Send the owner copy by certified RRR. Keep copies of EVERYTHING.

If you haven't resolved this matter by the time you get your credit card statement, IMMEDIATELY write the credit card issuer and dispute the charge. In your dispute letter, explain the circumstances, that you tried to resolve this with the merchant (include the name, etc.), include a copy of the letter sent to the owner, and that you are willing to work with the merchant to resolve this. The right to dispute the billing is covered in the FCBA (Fair Credit Billing Act) which can be found at http://www.ftc.gov/

Needless to say, don't use the computer in the interim. Put in the box just as received.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">