• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Do I need a lawyer for Rental car "damage" dispute?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LV girl

What is the name of your state? NV

My husband and I returned our rental car on Aug 16 -- the end of our Hawaiian vacation.

Upon the rental return, the agent started the car and quickly inspected the car. We then retrieved a receipt and left for our flight. Nothing was said or noted about any vehicle damage prior to our departure.

On September 20th, over a month later, we received a letter dated 9/10 and postmarked 9/16 from the rental agency stating that we owe them over $800 in damages (this includes $280 in admin/vehicle loss fee). The damage detail shows that majority of the costs ($525) was as a result of re-painting the car.

Upon looking at the receipt, there was no section to confirm, for both the rental agency's and our sake, that the car was returned in good condition. It simply stated the amount that was settled to our credit card.

To our knowledge, the vehicle was returned in the same condition it was given to us. (The vehicle was in good condition when re retrieved it). We did not engage in any accidents in the duration of the rental period.

We did not take the LDW insurance as our own insurance covered us.

We are still awaiting copies of the contract and pictures of the damage from the rental agency.

My husband believes that we should put a claim into the insurance company and pay it or get an attorney. Unfornately the latter is not an option as he feels it will cost more than the claim.
I don't feel it is right for us to pay a penny for something we did not do!
What options do we have to fight this? Do we need an attorney?
Should we go to small claims court or just pay the bill?

Any advice or additional questions welcome.

Thank you for your help!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">