• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with dumpster rental company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikeep

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I rented a dumpster. There is a problem now that it was returned because the guy says it's too overweight. The woman from the company first told me this and said it would cost me $75. The man then told me it would cost me over $200. There was no written contract but I was informed about the weight limit. But I was also told after I asked him how long could I keep it he said, "For as long as you want." But they left a message after a week that they were picking it up. So in my thinking they defaulted their end of the contract as well. Also, the truck hauling the dumpster caused damage to my property by backing into the driveway off the road surface and his wheel was continually slipping and throwing out all the area next to the driveway. He told me he's going to sue me if I don't send him the money.

I was thinking if it would be a good idea to call him to try to settle this somewhere between what he wants and what she told me first. The way she said it I thought she was scamming me about the weight because she said something to the effect, "well, we'll give you a discount, [or break, I forget], and it'll be $75." Then he wanted over $200. He doesn't know anything about the damage to my property.

I'm really bad at this and have a hard time communicating with people. I would like to do the fair thing but if she says $75 and he says over $200 it's not legit imo. the pic of the damaged area is here: http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1989/damagedlawn2.jpgWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

If this goes to court, unless you have written documentation, you will have to rely on what the woman told you and that you understood what she said and meant. I would suggest that the people at the company will have reconciled the difference amount to something such as; the fee is based upon how much excess weight there is. If so, they could have thrown out any number as long as the did not commit firmly to any one.

as to the damage: again, you might want to review your contract. As well, if you chose where to put the dumpster, the resulting damage is pretty much yours unless you said "I want it there as long as it will cause no damage to my yard". If the driver said "no problem, your yard won't be damaged", you have little chance of prevailing with that claim.

you can always try to sue. As always, it's always a gamble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">