• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! I paid off the bank 2 years ago, when do I get the title?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

michellleigh

i live in louisiana. i paid my car off 2 years ago, and have purchased a new one. but the bank gives me the run around when i ask for my title. i could have sold the car 2 years ago for $5000.00, now every year that goes by its value decreases.

i have filed a complaint with the better business bureau, do i have any legal rights? it would seem to me that they should pay for the money i loose wile i wait for their mistake to be fixed.

the bank is bank one, and i have made many phone calls only to hear im sorry... well while they are sorry i am stuck with a car i can not sell. please help quickly

crusheroz

Have you tried calling the Title section of the DMV. They may be able to release the title to you with proof that the car is paid for. It is worth a try.

J

jlw1000

Bank One--you'll never get things resolved. I worked for them and they couldn't even do payroll, health benefits, etc without screwing up.

Go to DMV with all your paperwork proving the car was paid & get your title. Save receipts for costs you have incurred. Get copies of the blue book value 2 years ago, and keep documentation of what you sell the car for.

Then file in small claims court against Bank One to see if you can get reimbursed. Before going to small claims court send Bank One a certified letter requesting a response within 10 days stating how much you feel you are entitled to. They will probably just ignore you, but you can prove to the court that you tried to resolve things with them.

Also, see if you can get punitive damages too.

D

dadkins

paid off loans

In relation to the car loan being paid off and not getting the title....I agree that you need to get the BMV in your state to issue another title---I'd think it is considered lost. Maybe if the title request was "expressed" for fast service Bank One would be willing to pay the cost if they don't have your original title. I

If Bank One lost the title this would replace it and if you take your paid paperwork into the office you have been dealing with and the "new" title has been received by yourself or Bank One, then maybe you could get them to release the lien without a hassle...

I also have a question....does anyone know if the financial institution is required to send back the paid note or loan papers? How would you prove you paid it if they didn't send back something like that---Especially since you do not have the title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">