• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP! I stopped payment on a check for a car...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adam531982

What is the name of your state? WISCONSIN

Please help me! On 7/31/02 I purchased a car from a used auto dealer "as is". I paid for this car with a check for financing for a little over $4,500.00 and a post-dated down payment personal check for $1,223.45. On 8/3/02 I stopped payment on the personal check because I had been having many problems with the vehicle and the reverse lights didnt work (which i was pulled over for). I later found out that it is illegal to sell a car without making sure that the safety equipment works (such as reverse lights) and after he promised to fix these problems immediatley, nothing was ever done. So- we went to court on 9/23 for the bad check and I was found responsible, etc... So I have to pay for it, in the meantime he still as of today (10/15/02) has not submitted the title to the DMV and my temp. plates expire at the end of this month. Can he do this? Even more so, can he do it in this situation? Local law enforcement has no idea (that's assuring). They said they "might'' be able to issue him a citation for failure to re-title a vehicle after 30 days. I'm worried, now he hasn't done this and I can't drive my car after 10/31/02! If anyone has any information that may be helpful to me, please contact me ASAP. I would greatly appreciate it. PS- If you live near Waukesha, WI. Dont EVER buy your car from Auto Baron! Thanks in advance for your help!
[email protected]
262-993-5382 cell phone number

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">