• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! I'm stumped!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am a real estate broker here in beautiful California. A couple of years ago, I took a course in "real estate contracts". I was taught, at that time, that I must provide a copy of ANY and ALL papers that are part of a real estate contract to a buyer or seller after they have signed them (the copies could either be carbon copies or xeroxed copies).

Well, if this is the case for real estate, does the same rule also apply to any other type of contract in the state of California?

If a person asks me to sign a contract for services, is that person legally obligated to provide a copy for me?

Thanks,

WW:D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

No.

Some contracts in California are even "Oral" contracts. Those are perfectly legal contracts in this State.

The only time a contract must be in writing, and the parties are legally required to exchange copies, is when it is mandated by Statute.

Real Estate contracts are specifically mandated by Statute to be in writing, and that copies are acknowledged by each party to the contract.

IAAL

IAAL,

Thank you for responding (and so quickly, I might add)! Your answer wasn't what I wanted, since it doesn't help my particular situation.

At least I know that I will have to pursue other avenues (gather as much evidence as I can, witnesses, etc.) to prepare for my case. I'm up against some pretty unethical rats.

Thanks again. You are very helpful.

Respectfully,

WickedWahine

LegalBeagle

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
Well, that's why FreeAdvice pays me the big bucks !
At our next board meeting I am going to purposed that your salary gets doubled. I will also table a motion to take away the stipulation for penalties for complaints received since that number has dropped to single figures this week.

Well done Mr. Liable.

HomeGuru

LegalBeagle said:

At our next board meeting I am going to purposed that your salary gets doubled. I will also table a motion to take away the stipulation for penalties for complaints received since that number has dropped to single figures this week.

Well done Mr. Liable.
My response: I will second the commotion and request that the Board pay Mr. Liable overtime for posting on Holidays and weekends. Furthermore, I will stipulate that the tabled motion be carried forth and revisited should the number of complaints increase at any time in proportion to the posts. In all fairness, should the IAAL complaint matter be discussed, the board should also review the condition of each writer making the complaint.
Wacko writers should be judged accordingly and the respective positioning of the moon relative to the tides should be taken into consideration.

Further sayeth NOT

HomeGuru
Member/Vice-Chair
Bored of Advisors

racer72

He gets paid????

Geez, and all this time I have been paying to post messages here. I thought the fancy electric door that says CD on my computer meant coin deposit. Guess I can use it as a drink holder. :D

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: He gets paid????

racer72 said:
Geez, and all this time I have been paying to post messages here. I thought the fancy electric door that says CD on my computer meant coin deposit. Guess I can use it as a drink holder. :D
My response:

. . . and you thought I did THIS stuff for free, like you guys do ?

In your dreams !

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">