• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Me On My Vehicle Purchase: GONE SOUR

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doomgenie

What is the name of your state? Virginia/North Carolina

What is the name of your state? North Carolina/ Virginia

Hi and thanks for any help i might get from this forum! Here is my ordeal. I was online at Autotrader.com searching for a used 4x4 SUV. I struck gold i thought when i found a 2004 Nissan Xterra for just $16200. This was being sold by a private seller and not a dealer. I called and made him an offer for $15,500 and he eagerly accepted. I thought wow! Anyways, i made that offer because that was the amount i had been pre-approved for. Bear in mind that i'm not a person who is knowledgeable on vehicles. Anyways, we set up a date for me to take the SUV on a test drive and viewing. As luck would have it, it ended up raining upon arrival after my 2 hour drive from NC to Newport News Virginia. Anyhow, i took the Xterra for a spin and it drove fine to me. It was raining so i tried to peek at the exterior as best as possible. I asked if it had ever been in an accident and the guy hesistantly said yes in the rear it had a fender bender and that was part of the reason for offering it low cost. I took his word and decided to BUY. Anyhow I get home and it is dry now and me and friend are checking it out now more closely and realize that it was not professionally repaired and it was also damaged in the front end as well. You could see all over paint job had been done and it was also not professional as it was already fading and bubbles in some spots, plus you could clearly see where the bondo was used and never made smooth. None of this was noticeable in the rain with rain drops all over, plus i was so very excited about buying anewer vehicle. I felt sick now. Then got really upset and decided to run an Autocheck report. It came back clear!!! This vehicle has been wrecked which is sooooo obvious in broad daylight, but no report made to an accident. I contacted the seller immediately to request the cancellation of this deal. He said no way and that he was going to seek an attorney for protection. I didn't even mention anything of legal action. This was all 2 days ago. What action if any can i take. The only paper i signed was a hand written bill of sale type thing and nothing reports the damage to this vehicle. What should i do? Am i stuck with this vehicle and run the chance of transmission/engine trouble from it being in a prior front end collission? This was my first ever major purchase and i feel like an idiot for trusting someone like i did to be honest. Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

Happy Trails

doomgenie said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia/North Carolina

What is the name of your state? North Carolina/ Virginia

Hi and thanks for any help i might get from this forum! Here is my ordeal. I was online at Autotrader.com searching for a used 4x4 SUV. I struck gold i thought when i found a 2004 Nissan Xterra for just $16200. This was being sold by a private seller and not a dealer. I called and made him an offer for $15,500 and he eagerly accepted. I thought wow! Anyways, i made that offer because that was the amount i had been pre-approved for. Bear in mind that i'm not a person who is knowledgeable on vehicles. Anyways, we set up a date for me to take the SUV on a test drive and viewing. As luck would have it, it ended up raining upon arrival after my 2 hour drive from NC to Newport News Virginia. Anyhow, i took the Xterra for a spin and it drove fine to me. It was raining so i tried to peek at the exterior as best as possible. I asked if it had ever been in an accident and the guy hesistantly said yes in the rear it had a fender bender and that was part of the reason for offering it low cost. I took his word and decided to BUY. Anyhow I get home and it is dry now and me and friend are checking it out now more closely and realize that it was not professionally repaired and it was also damaged in the front end as well. You could see all over paint job had been done and it was also not professional as it was already fading and bubbles in some spots, plus you could clearly see where the bondo was used and never made smooth. None of this was noticeable in the rain with rain drops all over, plus i was so very excited about buying anewer vehicle. I felt sick now. Then got really upset and decided to run an Autocheck report. It came back clear!!! This vehicle has been wrecked which is sooooo obvious in broad daylight, but no report made to an accident. I contacted the seller immediately to request the cancellation of this deal. He said no way and that he was going to seek an attorney for protection. I didn't even mention anything of legal action. This was all 2 days ago. What action if any can i take. The only paper i signed was a hand written bill of sale type thing and nothing reports the damage to this vehicle. What should i do? Am i stuck with this vehicle and run the chance of transmission/engine trouble from it being in a prior front end collission? This was my first ever major purchase and i feel like an idiot for trusting someone like i did to be honest. Please, any help is greatly appreciated.
Yikes! If you didn't get a warranty from the seller, you bought the car "as is".

Google "Caveat emptor".

doomgenie

Happy Trails said:
Yikes! If you didn't get a warranty from the seller, you bought the car "as is".

Google "Caveat emptor".

That is so unfair. How do people sleep at night knowing they screwed some uninformed kid. He's a Real Estate Agent, and i've come to the conclusion that his college age son probably wrecked the SUV, and they didn't report it to insurance for fear of rate increase or maybe he was DUI. For whatever reason, it wasn't reported and now i'm stuck with this SUV that has wreck damage and bondo repair and my money paid off his loan plus he pocketed $1,200. I've been told that now if i get into an accident and the insurance company sees the bondo then they won't pay for all damage due to prior damage. This was my first purchase. My dad usually would have helped me, but he passed away 2 years ago. Would it be ok if i placed a banner explaining that "this vehicle was sold by a person in the neighborhood knowing it had been wrecked and shotty repair job" on the sides of this SUV and drove around his neighborhood so all of his neighbors can see?

pammness

No

Vabeach, Virginia
You want to go down for slander ???? First thing I suggest is get it to a mechanic you can trust..... Have it checked out by them. You may be good on engine... It's a 2004.... How many miles on it ?You may have some manufacture warranty left on it if mileage is low. Also, if your willing to trust someone and can spend a little time without the vehicle, my dad is retired body and paint man, he has over 30 years experience... with 2 kids, 4 grand kids, he is always willing to help young people out. I can e-mail pics of his work.... but question here at hand. You paid him in full on spot, got nothing in writing but it's yours now slip.... It's yours now !! Sorry hun..... One of the worst things about buying from individuals.... Last ? was How do people like that sleep at night ? I don't know but my momma used to always say, she'd pray rocks in their bed at night!! If you believe in the power of prayer..... I do know there was a time or two growing up that she'd say that and that person would mumble for days about tossing and turning all night<shrug> if you want more info on my dad, just e-mail me, this name on aol, ok ??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

doomgenie

Ahoskie NC

Hiya and thanks for your input...I'm located in Ahoskie NC...Where are
you located? I did have a mechanic check it out and he said all seems
to be in good running order, but did suggest that with a front end
collision their is a good chance that future trouble will come from
the impact...He said engines are calibrated and any slight deviation
will cause wear which will in the end cause my trouble, but he said
this could be 3 years down the road, or next week, but would opt for 3
years since it is running fine. The mileage is only 20,500 but i was
also told that with an accident, the warranty would be void [but the
accident obviously wasn't reported] so i don't know...The ad said
warranty thru 36,000 miles from the guys autotrader ad...I would love
to see some work your dad has done and some rates...The work needed
isn't that much, just when you're spending the amount of money i
spent, i would have liked to have had things right to begin with...The
paint is fading in several spots and the bondo is just not done
correctly/professionally...If i'm stuck with this, then i'm gonna have
to cheer up and drive, but i'll pray for those rocks in this guys beds
for sure!!! ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">