• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help me out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Luis002

Sorry if this is not the right place for this but I don't know where this would go.

So about 3 months ago my father and I went to check out a car I was going to buy, the alternator turned out to be bad so my father and I went to the local auto parts and bought a new alternator to get the car started. It worked but the car had other problems so we decided we'd come back another time and decided to leave the alternator on the car. So we made a little contract with the owner of the car which states the alternator is ours, so on and so forth.

We then changed our minds and decided not to buy the car, so we told the owner to mail us the money or that we'd go back to his house to get the alternator and refund it. The guy said he would send the money but never did. We'd go to his house but it's about 100 miles away and we could do it but we havent chosen to go yet. It's been like 3 or more months now and I just called him today, and he hung up on me. What can and should I do? I still have the contract with his and my signature on it, along with the reciept of the alternator, what should I do? I'm lost right now and don't know whether to go all the way to his house and confront him about it or call the cops... I don't know.

Your helps appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Either sue the guy in small claims court (where he lives) or move on. Don't involve the cops and don't go there to get in a confrontation.

Luis002

Do you think I'd have a strong case against him?

We have a contract/agreement plus a reciet that shows I bought the alternator in his city (100 miles away from me) for his same year, and model car.

Luis002

Never mind, I just got off the phone with him and he's sending me my money tomorrow, this thread can be deleted or closed, thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Never mind, I just got off the phone with him and he's sending me my money tomorrow, this thread can be deleted or closed, thanks.
Well, let's wrap up the loose ends...

Did you have a strong case? Probably, depending on exactly what that paper said. Would it be worth pursuing? Only you can make that decision...it's not a legal question, it's a cost vs. benefit question ;)

I'm glad it worked out for you :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">