• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help please! Need urgent advice on canceling contracts of sales

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nc123

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
Hi, yesterday I purchased a Travel Club membership through Ameri-World. I had told them "no" several times, but they kept me in their office for 3 hours, and I finally broke down and signed it all. I called today to cancel and I got the run-around. They said that I signed a paper saying the contract is not subject to recission. However, I thought there was some 3 day rule about cancelling contracts. Does anyone know how I can cancel this contract and get a full refund.

faithchris2

If you hadn't paid for it you should call your bank and ask them to stop or not allow payment for this. I don't know if everything has a 3 days rule but I would think most contracts do. You can check the contract laws in your state. I wish you well and I would then file a suit for harrassment so they don't do it to others like they did to you. I am not a believer in sueing but sometimes if you don't these companies get away with murder. Learn to be better at say NO and just get up and walk away no matter what they say that is big pressure dealing. You may also think of going to the District Attorney in your area and tell them what happened. I doubt they would help you but may be able to give you advice. Good Luck

nc123

update

So this is an update, just in case anyone else runs into this same sort of problem. When I had called in, the manager said that he would "see what he could do." He had a meeting with the owners of the company and would get back to me Monday which was exactly 4 business days after I had signed the contract. Coincidence? This was before I knew about the possible 3-day cancellation law.
Most states have a 3day period in which you can cancel a contract. In Connecticut this only applies to certain contracts (automobiles, timeshares,etc). It's called the "Cooling Off" period. I'm not sure if this law applied to my case because it was a contract for a private travel club that deals with timeshares, but I thought I'd give it a go anyways.
The intent to cancel must be received in written form. You cannot simply say I told them over the phone. To cover all my bases, I sent them certified letter with return receipt, notifying them of my intent to cancel and also stating that I was going to report them to the Connecticut Consumer Protection agency and BBB if they didn't respond to my letter within 1 week. The next day, I went to their office with the same letter in hand, had the receptionist sign a form indicating that she had received the letter, and then talked to the manager. At first he was rather rude, but then he asked me what I intended to do, was I ready to take legal action? I said yes. All of a sudden, he became rather nice and genteel. To make a long story short, they ended up cancelling my contract and I received a full refund.
So I'm still not exactly sure if the 3-day Cooling off period applied to my case since it was a company that dealt with timeshares, but may not have exactly been a timeshare company. Here's a link to an AARP page with good info regarding contracts. http://www.povertylaw.org/legalresearch/hotline/ct/52639B.htm
I had sent a copy of my contract to a lawyer friend though and she said there were several things wrong with the contract (but I did not know this until after I had already confronted the manager). Anyways, so if you find yourself in a similar situation, there's no harm in trying to cancel. Worst case scenario is that you find yourself stuck in the contract, which would be what have happened to you if you didn't do anything.

sheik

Hello nc123,

I am in the same situation. Could you please give me you email id. I would like to discuss with you regarding this.

Thanks

dallas702

Is this one of those deals where they offer you a free meal or weekend at some "resort", and tell you all you have to do is listen to their "short presentation"? Since these con game/phony sales gimmicks are used to trap thousands of people every month into signing up for unwanted travel or vacation packages I can only assume they are operating just within the state's laws. I can't think of ever hearing about anyone being sued for stopping payment or charging back their deposit. Many of these companies aren't even around when it comes time to use their "service". Just because they rent some cheap office space they are no different than if they were hawking their bs down by the bus stop.

Consider them for what they are, and then do what you have to to get your money back. Next week the person who talked you into sitting down for their pitch will be selling 125% mortgages or vitamins via some boiler room.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">