• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help school is about to start, need advice as to tuition contract enforceability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

VRS

Is a contract that defines only how a service must be paid for but is required to recieve the services be enforceble?

It seems insane to sign a contract like the one I described but I am required to sign a tuition contract to assure spots for my children at the local Catholic elementary school. The contract states that if you move (30mi) or experience a serious event (death, layoff) then you will not be held accountable for tuition. The contract also states there is a arbitration committee to appeal to in the event you want to withdraw a child and stop paying tuition in cases other than the reasons above. This arbitration committee does not exist.

The school is experiencing some administrative problems and although I want to send my kids I am really uncomfortable about signing the contract.

What bothers me about this contract is that it defines what they expect from me (to pay tuition), but does not address any of what I can expect in exchange for paying tuition (class size, staff/student ratio, curriculum).

Is it enforceable? Can they hold me to continue paying the tuition if I elect to withdraw my children because the needs of my child(ren) are not being met?

My state is North Carolina

C

Cassy

Contract enforceability

Hi!
You may want to check your state's attorney general's website at http://www.jus.state.nc.us/ There is a link to Consumer Protection that in my brief look see, appeared to be pretty informative.
I understand that you want your children to attend that school but that you want the option of changing schools if for some reason the quality of the schooling doesn't meet some measurable threshold, without continuing to pay tuition. The way you describe the situation is scarey especially if you are to meet with a nonexistant arbitration committee if there are problems.

If you don't think the attorney generals office can help, maybe your local city council or board of education can be of assistance. Also it may be an opportunity to develop a relationship with a local attorney that you can then consult over the next several years as your children and you encounter other life situations that need a legal opinion.

Just out of curiosity will they allow you to enroll your children without signing the agreement? Regardless, I'd say hold off signing it if you can until you have a better understanding of your options.

I am not an attorney, but I believe knowing a local attorney as well as your city representatives, congress person and senators is beneficial long term. Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">