• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High Towing fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wkryan

I live in WA state. Here is my situation. If anyone has any advice to offer I greatly appreciate it.

On May 14th, 2005 my husband was involved in a tragic accident on West Valley Hwy in Algona, WA. He was the third vehicle on the scene of a fatality accident in which a young man lost his life and in which the involvement of our van was inevasible. The young man in question became lodged under our van's front axle.

The Algona and Pacific Police, State Patrol, and the Auburn Fire Department were all quick to respond. We were not given an option and were told the vehicle would be impounded. Although we tried to discuss an alternative we understood the gravity of the accident, and did not question the validity of the tow. The towing company who was called is Auburn Valley Towing.

I contacted the towing company the afternoon of the accident and was informed the impound yard was closed and to wait until Monday. When I went to the tow yard on Monday, I was shocked to be given a bill for $671.84. I immediately started asking questions and the answers given were of no comfort to me. I learned that the towing company charged $205 an hour for 2.5 hours. My shock went to confusion when I learned that Auburn Valley Towing charges the State Patrol $136 an hour. On Tuesday the 17th, I paid $717.54 to redeem our vehicle.

With the help of the King County Sheriffs office (Officer McMein) and the State Patrol (Trooper Helton), I learned the difference lay in whether the agency calling for impound has a written contract with the towing company. Without a contract, the law allows the towing companies to charge whatever they see fit. These rates are posted with the Department of Licensing. Any billing then must be inline with these posted rates. There is also another law, RCW 46.55, which makes provision to help towing companies recover the costs of vehicles not redeemed by the owner through public auction of the vehicle. The registered owner of the vehicle may incur penalties which may include, but not limited to, a $250 fine, which cannot be reduced (RCW 46.63.110 (2)), suspension of all driving privileges (RCW 46.20.289) and other penalties as may be imposed by a court. The only parties the law strongly protects are the towing companies and the agencies that call for the tow.

I feel like this violates the Consumer Protection Act since no one was apparently acting on our behalf in regards to how much we were being charged. This towing company along with one other in the area charge the highest of ANY towing company in this county. I also feel like our rights were violated because regardless of the fact the car was driveable, we were given no other options but impound.

The price seems to fall under the competitive pricing rules but when the consumer doesn't have a choice it doesn't seem very competitive at all. Especially when I would incur more financial and legal penalties if I don't pay their high bill.

Thanks

pammness

free legal advise

I would jump on calling an attorney that does a one time free consultaion, usually by phone. Most states do have limits to what said businesses can charge to prevent huge mark ups during crisis..... i.e. bottled water that merchants will mark up during a disaster. That's just an example. Take advantage of a free consultaion.
What reason were you given for the impound??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">