• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Holding my down payment HOSTAGE!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MarieMo

here are MOST of the facts (all of them would take forever)
i signed a contract with a big car dealership in Reno, NV for the purchase of a Saturn. I gave them $2000 down on a credit card and then wrote 2 $250 checks and signed a form to leagally post date them for 45 days later. (i didn't recieve a copy of this form). I was told at the dealership that it might be difficult to finance me but they had a way and I'de hear from them before my temporary plates ran out (30 days). Two weeks later I had to move across the country. I left Reno in the Saturn and drove to Minnesota. I heard nothing from the dealership even though my cell # hadn't changed. The day before my temps ran out I called to check the status of my financing. I was then told that I couldn't be financed. I told the dealership that I wanted to work out a way to return the car to them, told them I had moved and was told I'd hear from them the next day. 3 days later (after many unreturned calls to them) I got a call. By now I had talked to several friends who work in the auto industry and offered several suggestions to the dealership on how to get the car back to them. The man on the phone said he was still unsure on how they wanted the car returned. I then asked if my down payment checks would still be cashed. He said he didn't know and would get back to me the next day. The next day I recieved a call from a recovery agent. I voluntarily surrendered the car, he praised me on my cooperation, and I asked him some legal advice. He said that legally they couldn't cash my checks, but I should put a stop payment on them in case. He also said that of the $2000 they could deduct rental and recovery costs, but the remainder had to be refunded to me. I called my bank to put a stop payment on the checks, but they had already been cashed. They have now been presented to my bank 3 times each ($180 in NSF fees) and the check company is after me now. I have called the dealership and they claim they are being fair and legal and have hung up on me. I don't want much, even the $2000 that I've already budgeted out is fine. I just want my $500 and fees to go away. I really want to avoid court, but am just curious if I have a legal right to my money, and what to do from here.... PLEASE HELP!!!:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">