• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

home addition contractor goes bankrupt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

um32

What is the name of your state? Illinois

A general contractor that did work on my house has gone chapter 7 with me still owing about 1/6 of the contract amount.

The contractor has told me that the amount owed is essentially wiped clean and has provided a document from their lawyer stating that they have "zeroed-out my project". I believe this document was done outside of the bankruptcy records. However, he has given me a list of sub-contractors that have not been paid in full. Fortunately, the amount stilled owed to sub-contractors is not greater than the 1/6 left of the original contract amount. He has suggested that we settle directly with each sub-contractor that is still owed money.

I would of course like to make sure that the sub-contractors get paid what they deserve to make sure no leins occur. However, I am concerned that if I make good with each sub-contractor, there may be some record that the court is aware of that indicates that our contract was not completed and we still owed money to the general contractor/bankruptcy court and that they would come after me for that amount.

How can be sure there is no record of any amount due the backrupt contractor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HomeGuru

um32 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

A general contractor that did work on my house has gone chapter 7 with me still owing about 1/6 of the contract amount.

The contractor has told me that the amount owed is essentially wiped clean and has provided a document from their lawyer stating that they have "zeroed-out my project". I believe this document was done outside of the bankruptcy records. However, he has given me a list of sub-contractors that have not been paid in full. Fortunately, the amount stilled owed to sub-contractors is not greater than the 1/6 left of the original contract amount. He has suggested that we settle directly with each sub-contractor that is still owed money.

I would of course like to make sure that the sub-contractors get paid what they deserve to make sure no leins occur. However, I am concerned that if I make good with each sub-contractor, there may be some record that the court is aware of that indicates that our contract was not completed and we still owed money to the general contractor/bankruptcy court and that they would come after me for that amount.

How can be sure there is no record of any amount due the backrupt contractor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

**A: file your claim with the BK Trustee and request copies of pertinent documents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">