• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home repair contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajobrien10

Massachusetts

I was in a long term relationship (not married) and we purchased a house as an investment property. At the time, I did not realize the relationship was in trouble and bought the house...in my name alone.

The house needed a lot of repairs and my significant other and I were to do the work ourselves.

When the relationship ended, he told me he was willing to do the work on the house and we would split what we made on the sale 50/50. I didn't trust him at this point so I drew up a contract and stated everything that was to be done...itemized by room, that we would split the costs 50/50 and would equally split any profit from the sale of the house after outstanding debts were paid. We both signed. A couple of months later, he walked away without doing any work.

This was approximately 5 years ago. At the time, I spoke to an attorney but was told since my ex had nothing, I would gain nothing. I eventually lost the house to foreclosure and filed bankruptcy as a direct result of his unwillingness to fullfill his end of the contract. I couldn't afford the mortgage on my own and couldn't have the repairs done in order to sell it.

I just learned that he is now a moderately successful contractor with his own business, home, cars and other assets. I am still suffering the financial fallout of having the house go into foreclosure and filing bankruptcy. My credit is destroyed.

Since most of the debts I incurred from the house were included in the bankruptcy, can I sue him for anything due to the impact this has had on my credit and my life?

Thank you in advance for any feedback or advice.

ETA: I just checked the contract. It's been just over 4 years.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">