• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home security contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coxt

Hello, I live in Wisconsin and I have a contractual question. I lived with my elderly grandmother for 2 years. During this time she wanted a home security system installed so that we would be safe and in case of a health emergency. I had to take out a 3 year contract under my name since they wanted to auto-debit a checking account for the service and she had no checking account. Last October, I moved out of her home and wanted to end or transfer my contractual obligation. The security service told me that I could only end my obligation by paying the remainder of the 3 year balance in full. I asked them if they could remove the security system in exchange for my contract and they said no. I asked them if they could transfer the contract to my grandmother and they said that they could not and that she'd have to sign another 3 year contract. I am now paying $40 per month for a security service that my grandmother no longer wants, for a home I do not live in, and I am liable for any fees,etc, associated in the event that the alarm is misused. Any suggestions here? Could I end this contract or am I forced to maintain it? I appreciate your input. Thank you.

JETX

Bad news.... what you have is a simple contract issue. You signed for 3 years service and they (the seller/installer) expects you to comply with the terms.

Q1) "Any suggestions here?"
A1) If the contract is valid, you really have only two choices: complete the terms or breach. If you breach, you could make yourself liable for additional costs and/or penalties.

Q2) "Could I end this contract or am I forced to maintain it?"
A2) See A1.

One big suggestion though.... cancel the automatic debit on the account (if you can). These auto-debits are notariously abused by the merchant/vendor.

C

coxt

auto debit

Thanks for your advice, unfortunately, that's what I was afraid of.
In terms of the auto debit suggestion, is there any way that the merchant can REQUIRE the monthly payments via auto debit? I had thought it was a choice and not a requirement but when I signed the contract they didn't provide any other options.
Since the auto debit is coming from my checking acct's debit card, I could always cancel the card and have a new one reissued, new number. They are using it like someone would charge a VISA.
Please let me know if they can require an auto debit and thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">