• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home siding contractor - cost of work not specified in contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MST

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

Just had a full siding job done by general contractor. After contract was written up, I had decided to replace a screen/storm door myself. When foreman arrived on site to survey the home, I asked him if it should be done before he starts, or after, would he have to take the old one down anyway or not... Long story short he said if I get a new door myself he will put it up for me. He didn't mention price, I didn't renegotiate or add this to the contract (yes I should have, have used them before and I got too comfortable with them). I wrongly thought this meant he was just throwing it in as part of the whole job so I didn't ask price. He threw in other things like a window and light fixture replacement, but those ARE in the contract.

Job was completed today, I paid the contract in full, crew and foreman left. Later I got a call from the company owner. He indicated that his team installed a storm door, and it wasn't included in the contract. He is correct, I agree and realize this now. However he indicated he was going to invoice me $300 for the install. After looking around I can not find a price anywhere over $120 on the high end in this area for just a storm replacement with no re-framing needed. big box stores are a lot less.

I understand I should pay him for the install since it was not included. I know where I went wrong, but my question is do I have any hope at this point of getting this price brought more in line? Since there was no price quoted up front, am I out of luck? Any suggestions appreciated for renegotiating this.

adjusterjack

There's no legal issue.

You owe for the work.

There's no magic words to get the price down.

Talk it out with the contractor. It's between you and him.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

... After contract was written up, I had decided to replace a screen/storm door myself ... he said if I get a new door myself he will put it up for me. He didn't mention price, I didn't renegotiate or add this to the contract ... He indicated that his team installed a storm door, and it wasn't included in the contract. ... However he indicated he was going to invoice me $300 for the install. After looking around I can not find a price anywhere over $120 on the high end in this area for just a storm replacement with no re-framing needed.

... I know where I went wrong, but my question is do I have any hope at this point of getting this price brought more in line? Since there was no price quoted up front, am I out of luck? Any suggestions appreciated for renegotiating this.
Because no price was quoted or included in the contract, you are in a good position to negotiate with the contractor the cost charged for installation.

You can get estimates from other contractors in the area and present these to your contractor for a compare and contrast, to see if you can get the $300 figure reduced. Of course, this only works if the other contractors would charge less than $300 for the same work. ;)

The contractor does not have to negotiate with you and you, in turn, can refuse to pay the $300. But this hardly seems to be an amount worth suing over - for either you or the contractor. Try to work it out amicably or just pay and learn from it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">