• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the homeowner ultimately responsible for payment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Recoil Rob

I live and work from NY but this took place in CT.

I am an independent service agent for the repair of whirlpool baths and steam baths. I have contracts with many companies to do their warranty work.

I was contacted by a company based in AZ that I had not worked with before and had no contract with. They had sold a tub to a homeowner in CT and it was in need of warranty repair. They were calling on her behlaf and said they would send parts and pay me for travel and labor. I contacted the homeowner and she confirmed that this was true.

The parts arrived, I called the homeowner, made an appointment, was allowed access to the tub in the house, I did a successful repair.

I submitted my bill to the comapny in AZ , after about 30 days I called to find out where my check was and found that they had gone Chapter 11 and I was informed I wasn't going to be paid.

I submitted my bill to the homeowner but they refused to pay, saying it was my bad luck the comapny went bankrupt.

It's my feeling that since they were the ultimate beneficiary of my work they are ultimately responsible to pay the bill. The company was acting as their agent in hiring me and they agreed by allowing me access to do the job.

I suppose I could file a mechanics lien, as when a subcontractor is not paid by a general contractor, but I would rather take this to Small Claims Court.

I'd like any advice as whether I am correct in my assumption the owner is ultimately responsible and, if possible, reference to any CT statute that I may cite when presenting my case.

thanks,

RobWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I wasn't contracted by the company, I was contacted.
You had a CONTRACT with the company to go out and repair the lady's xyz. You agreed to accept parts and payment from them. Your recourse is against the company.

Recoil Rob

Assuming that is correct, and the company is no longer in business, do I have any recourse against the homeowner?

Recoil Rob

Yes, you have, but as your own signature says, you're not a lawyer.

I'd rather hear it from someone that is.

swalsh411

Attorney's do not troll these forums and generally they get paid for their advice.

The answer to your original question is "no".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">