• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hotel theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leetdancer

hello

I live in the State of Florida. While relocating to a new city I spent the night in a hotel. The next morning I checked out to go apartment hunting. A few hours latter I went into my bag to get some cash out for a meal when discovered the money I had stored was gone. The bag the money was in never left my possession except when left it in hotel night before to go out for food.

I returned to the hotel and called the police. A detective is investigating it but I have no hopes of anyone admiting going into room and taking anything.

Do I have and legal rights against the hotel?

Usually hotels have a disclaimer about not being responsible for money/valuables left in the room unattended. You may want to check into that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I work two nights a week in a hotel to keep me solvent between contracts.

A year or so ago, we had a complaint that some jewelry had been stolen out of a room. The police were called and although the police suggested that *probably* a member of the hotel staff was responsible, there was no proof and no charges were filed. The whole situation was ugly, to say the least.

About three months later the guest called the hotel and very sheepishly admitted that the jewelry had been found. It had fallen out of his wife's bag and had been under the car seat the whole time.

It is rare that a hotel is found liable for valuables left in rooms. My point is that without some proof that a member of the hotel staff was responsible (not another guest, not a visitor, not a professional hotel thief working the house that night) it is unlikely that you will be able to hold the hotel responsible.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

leetdancer said:
hello

I live in the State of Florida. While relocating to a new city I spent the night in a hotel. The next morning I checked out to go apartment hunting. A few hours latter I went into my bag to get some cash out for a meal when discovered the money I had stored was gone. The bag the money was in never left my possession except when left it in hotel night before to go out for food.

I returned to the hotel and called the police. A detective is investigating it but I have no hopes of anyone admiting going into room and taking anything.

Do I have and legal rights against the hotel?

My response:

This is why God invented "American Express Traveler's Cheques". But, you were too cheap to buy them. So, you deserved what happened to you.

IAAL

marbol

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

This is why God invented "American Express Traveler's Cheques". But, you were too cheap to buy them. So, you deserved what happened to you.
That's a nasty way of saying:

Cash should be kept on you at all times. Even then you should think about possible robberies. NEVER ever leave something locked into a room where several hundred people could have a key. (think about all the people that were in the room before you - as well as all the people that work for the hotel - many of whom are not paid well)

No substitute for thought.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">