• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House renovation. Hidden costs from builder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keitho

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi

I am currently in dispute with my renovation company. In my initial contract to renovate my home I was quoted $45000. I made several changes to the original plans, changing the kitchen splashback to glass instead of tiled and the benchtop to a thicker stone. I also provide most of my own appliances and bath, tapware etc. The builder came back with a revised quote of $42000.

I questioned this reduction of only $3000 as he was making large savings as we were proving appliances. He replied to my email, basically saying that the savings to him were offset somewhat by cost increases elsewhere. He basically replied to my email by using red font next to my questions and said "kitchen benchtop was 40mm now it is 80mm" and "Splashback was tiled". This implied to me that the splashback is now NOT tiled but glass and is therefore included in the revised amount.

The glass company have fit the glass but my builder is now billing me for this. At no stage was this ever mentioned as an extra cost, either orally or verbally. I still do not know how much the cost is. In fact I would never contract anyone to undertake work for me without first knowing what I am paying.

However my contract does say that the kitchen is tiled. Does my builders email saying "kitchen was tiled" (past tense) have any legal standing. It seems that the whole offer/acceptance thing has gone out the window on this one. Meanwhile I am left with a building site for a house and a builder who refuses to complete the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">