• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Housing Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tom81

What is the name of your state? Ohio
back in april my college made everyone staying on campus sign a housing agreement and put down a $100 deposit for our room. i was one of the fortunate people to get into one of the college-owned apartments. i was told that my 3 roommates and i would have our own phone numbers in our room and a phone number in the living room along with having 5 cable outlets and all of this was included in the price. just a week ago i received a letter saying we were only going to have one phone number and cable outlet and if we split the cable so we could have it in our rooms that would be considered theft and we would be fined an undisclosed amount. if we wanted to have our own phone line and cable connection in our room each of us would have to pay another $450. in my opinion the school is violating the contract they had us sign. do we have a case?

W

warlock

I think you need to review the contract and see if it specifically lays out the number of cable connections and independent phone lines. Your message says that you were "told" about these amenities, so you need to be more specific as to whom you were told by. If your rental contract states clearly that you were putting a deposit down on an apartment with those specifications, then you do seem to have a contract breech on your hands. You should be entitled to the college either installing those services at no extra cost to you, or they should refund your deposit and allow you to seek off-campus housing. I am not sure as to whether you even signed a rental contract, I am only aware that you put down a $100 deposit, so you may unfortunately end up with no recourse at all. Find the person who you heard the description from and see if he/she can recall seeing any such apartments/dorms - perhaps there are some and they were already rented out. Maybe you could be placed on a waiting list or at least find out why the over-inflated dorm description was tossed about in the first place. Good luck! By the way - you may find that you will be too busy STUDYING to watch television and chat on the phone. :D

T

tom81

I'm not the only who was told about this. You can ask anyone who are going to live in these apartments and they will tell you the same thing. The cable and phone hookups are in the rooms all ready. They just aren't turned on anymore. I have been in them before and I have had friends who have lived in them and they never had to pay for it. The housing office told everyone that we were going to have cable and our own phone lines in our rooms with separate numbers. I even signed a piece of paper choosing my room for the specific purpose of the school assigning my room and my roommate's rooms their own phone numbers so they could publish them correctly.

HomeGuru

Het tom, we already discussed this issue with you when you posted in the Landlord Teant Law forum. Please refrain from posting duplicate threads.

T

tom81

Sir, I posted this before in here on accident when I meant to post it in the other forum. I corrected my mistake. What does it matter to you anyways?

HomeGuru

tom81 said:
Sir, I posted this before in here on accident when I meant to post it in the other forum. I corrected my mistake. What does it matter to you anyways?
**A: because you just can't seem to understand and accept our responses.

T

tom81

I never replied to any of your responses. I was asked a question and I tried to clarify myself. It's obvious that you didn't read my posts completely when I said I signed a piece of paper telling me I was going to have my own phone line.

HomeGuru

tom81 said:
I never replied to any of your responses. I was asked a question and I tried to clarify myself. It's obvious that you didn't read my posts completely when I said I signed a piece of paper telling me I was going to have my own phone line.
**A: you can sign all the papers you want telling yourself anything. You can even call and talk to yourself. If you know anything about contract law and landlord tenant law in Ohio, then you would know that FarmerJ posed a correct and relevant question. And you still, to this date, have not responded.

T

tom81

I did respond. So the college can put on a piece of paper that they are going to give me own phone line at no charge, have me sign that piece of paper, and then come back and tell me after I've signed it and put my deposit down that they're going to charge me now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">