• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can an ambulance charge so much?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

graitken

What is the name of your state? Michigan
Had a minor accident. My motorcycle fell on top of me while trying to load it on my pickup. Thought I had hurt myself and called 911. Rescue came and after a few minutes, I was fine. They kept insisting I go in the ambulance to the hospital to get checked out even though I could drive myself. I finally submitted. The hospital was 5 miles away and within 1/2 hour I was out and on my way home. I received a bill for over $600.00 from the ambulance company of which my insurance covered $100. How can they charge so much for doing so little especially when I didn't even request their service. The only reason I submitted was because they wouldn't let up insisting that I get on the guerny. I never signed anything agreeing to these charges which I consider outrageous. Do I have any recourse. I have already talked to them about reducing the charge to a reasonable amount but without success.

VeronicaLodge

yeah, you requested the services when you called, even if you hadn't gone with them in the ambulance, there would still have been a charge for them coming out. (i think)

Ozark_Sophist

yeah, you requested the services when you called, even if you hadn't gone with them in the ambulance, there would still have been a charge for them coming out. (i think)
Varies on locale.

I had a 2-1/2 hour ride (an entire movie played on the overhead DVD) that cost way more than OP's. A standard charge is typically applied if the service is use regardless of time or distance. In my area, I think that charge is $500.

OP- Call your insurance again and tell them to cover more--be persistant.

JustABill

What is the name of your state? Michigan
Had a minor accident. My motorcycle fell on top of me while trying to load it on my pickup. Thought I had hurt myself and called 911. Rescue came and after a few minutes, I was fine. They kept insisting I go in the ambulance to the hospital to get checked out even though I could drive myself. I finally submitted. The hospital was 5 miles away and within 1/2 hour I was out and on my way home. I received a bill for over $600.00 from the ambulance company of which my insurance covered $100. How can they charge so much for doing so little especially when I didn't even request their service. The only reason I submitted was because they wouldn't let up insisting that I get on the guerny. I never signed anything agreeing to these charges which I consider outrageous. Do I have any recourse. I have already talked to them about reducing the charge to a reasonable amount but without success.
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Would you think they were charging so much had you been in extremis and they'd saved your life?

How can the ambulance charge so much? There are many costs involved in EMS, some of which are invisible to the general public unless they go looking for them. I don't know if your local ambulance is a public department (i.e. Fire Department, third service, etc.) or is a private company contracted by your city/county to respond to 911 calls. As was pointed out, however, either way, you called 911, therefore you did request their service.
Some of the costs involve labor, vehicle, insurance, fuel, medical supplies, training (recertification for staff), medical director (the authority by which they are allowed to carry out medical procedures that otherwise require a physician), not to mention all those people who do not have insurance and who default on their bills. There are also administrator salaries, fees to supervising hospitals, and other things you never see, but are costs that must be paid. They charge what they do to make their expenses and I can guarantee you from personal experience that the medics/EMTs on the truck saw very little of the amounts billed for their services that day.

$0.02

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

No kidding.

Particularly since you evidently failed to notice that this post is a year old and has no doubt been resolved by this time.

JustABill

No kidding.

Particularly since you evidently failed to notice that this post is a year old and has no doubt been resolved by this time.
And no one else ever has had or ever will have similar question? Someone evidently found it interesting, because the way I found it was looking at the "who's online" listing and saw a "Guest" reading the thread.

Either way, though, despite your sarcasm, thanks for your post.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And no one else ever has had or ever will have similar question? Someone evidently found it interesting, because the way I found it was looking at the "who's online" listing and saw a "Guest" reading the thread.

Either way, though, despite your sarcasm, thanks for your post.
It is bad form on THIS forum to necropost. No matter how much you whine...

JB MSN APN

1st Exposure to THIS forum

It is bad form on THIS forum to necropost. No matter how much you whine...

Communication is KEY - 10 mins of talking now can save you months of headaches later!

Masterfully stating the obvious to the oblivious! (Thanks SP!)
Tell it like it is!
What BAD form to chastise the newbie who is only defending himself against the arrogant and snide comments of "cbg" a Senior Member (since 2001). Despite the fact the disclaimed writer is not an attorney, as I am not, does that put us both in the category of oblivious? As a Master's trained Nurse Practitioner with 15 years experience I take offense at being introduced to a Website which claims to offer help to the "less-than-legally-minded" especially when the RIGHT answer is given, even if it is a year old. I was looking at the thread too. And I know all about how the EMS system works. Does that still put me in the oblivious category? And then after you asinine chastisement, I read you jackass signature. Give me a break.

I signed on to ask a question about consumer contract law, but after this biased and prejudiced introduction, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Last edited:

Antigone*

What BAD form to chastise the newbie who is only defending himself against the arrogant and snide comments of "cbg" a Senior Member (since 2001). Despite the fact the disclaimed writer is not an attorney, as I am not, does that put us both in the category of oblivious? As a Master's trained Nurse Practitioner with 15 years experience I take offense at being introduced to a Website which claims to offer help to the "less-than-legally-minded" especially when the RIGHT answer is given, even if it is a year old. I was looking at the thread too. And I know all about how the EMS system works. Does that still put me in the oblivious category? And then after you asinine chastisement, I read you jackass signature. Give me a break.

I signed on to ask a question about consumer contract law, but after this biased and prejudiced introduction, I'll take my business elsewhere.
Well Zigner, I guess we've just been told. :eek: Do we have one hellovan unhappy newbie or what:(.

I guess master's tranined nurse practitioners do not have to read the TOS & FAQs as all us lowly other members do.

lealea1005

JB MSN APN just stomped her foot, took her jumprope, and went home. Zig & cbg should have known better then to mess with such a highly educated MSN APN!!! :rolleyes: Shame on both of you. :p Go ahead and, through your shame, try to have a good Thanksgiving anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">