• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I get the title for my car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thinkdo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I live in NY but bought the car in NJ

I wanted to buy a used car, a friend of mine told me about a dealer who lives in NY but supposedly has a NJ dealer license, I went with him to a Dealers Only Car Auction in NJ and he bought me a car that I choose. I then paid him the Full price of the car plus his commission with a check. He gave me a bill of sale and issued a NJ temporary plates valid for 20 days and said that he should receive the title from the auction within 7 days then he will transfer it to my name. it's been 27 days now and he did not give me the title, every time I call he claims that he has not received it yet. the temp plates has expired and I am not able to drive the car. what legal action should I take and to which authority should I report him in order to get the title?

Thank you,

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I live in NY but bought the car in NJ

I wanted to buy a used car, a friend of mine told me about a dealer who lives in NY but supposedly has a NJ dealer license, I went with him to a Dealers Only Car Auction in NJ and he bought me a car that I choose. I then paid him the Full price of the car plus his commission with a check. He gave me a bill of sale and issued a NJ temporary plates valid for 20 days and said that he should receive the title from the auction within 7 days then he will transfer it to my name. it's been 27 days now and he did not give me the title, every time I call he claims that he has not received it yet. the temp plates has expired and I am not able to drive the car. what legal action should I take and to which authority should I report him in order to get the title?

Thank you,
Request new temp tags.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">