• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do I collect?`

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

safirab123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Geargia I worked for a person on a boat doing varnish work and he refuses to pay the rest of the money owed for the work ... does anyone know about the jones act or blue flag act? ... or how to get my money out of this person ...

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Geargia I worked for a person on a boat doing varnish work and he refuses to pay the rest of the money owed for the work ... does anyone know about the jones act or blue flag act? ... or how to get my money out of this person ...
Sue the bad guy in small claims court.

safirab123

I was going to use the small claims court until I found out that it is about 30 milesaway and I have no transportation as i live on a boat ... I was told that the jones act cou8lod help in this matter ....

racer72

The Jones Act (The US Shipping Act) has absolutely nothing to do with collection of a civil debts. It states all ships of commerce that travel from one US port to another US port must be a US flagged vessel. Even if it did, and it doesn't, you would require a court order to enforce the provisions of the act. That would mean suing the bad guy in court. Your only options are civil court, either small claims or a higher court depending on the amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">