• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get my money back from verbal contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ciaderosa

What is the name of your state? Michigan.

My recently acquired dog has been snapping at my 2-year-old. Before finding him a new home I decided to call an obedience trainer. The woman I called assured me on the phone that training would help and came over that evening for a consultation. She was a woman in her 60's. She watched the dog and my children and offered advice. We agreed to sign up for her 7-class in home course and gave her a check for $148.52. This was a special price that included the $35 consultation fee. She gave one lesson that evening and made an appointment to come back the following Monday.

On Thursday - 12/26 - the dog bit my son again and my husband and I agreed that he had to go. I called the Dog Lady the next morning to tell her we no longer required her services and could we have a refund, minus the consultation fee. She suggested we sell the training to the new owners, when we found some, but I told her I didn't think that would work. She then told me to "think about it and let me know what you decide".

On the following MOnday I called her again and after a while she agreed to a partial refund to be mailed shortly. That evening when I came home my husband told me she'd called and said no refund. I spoke to her the next day and she said she'd talked to some people who all agreed that the dog should be given a second chance and take at least half the course before a refund could be given. I told her that I'd notified her within 3 days and that should be sufficient, whereupon she suddenly turned very nasty on the phone and told me to "Do what you have to do" and hung up on me. I immediately called her back and calmly told her I wished to settle this in a professional manner and she screamed at me (no kidding) that I wasn't professional because I didn't use her professional name (which was Mrs. ____, I'd been calling her by her first name) and that my home was in such disorder that if I wanted to talk professional I should attend to my kids and house. - and hung up on me again. Later that afternooon she called once more to say that she'd spoken to her lawyer who said no refunds - and hung up on me again.

What can I do? I have sent a certified/return mail letter to her today 1/3/03 stating my repeated requests for a refund and asking for such within seven days of receipt before going to court. I have filed with the BBB. The woman is obviously unbalanced and I don't know how else to deal with her. Any help would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">