• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get a title for a motorcycle I purchased?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jvg29

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I purchased a motorcycle about 5 months ago for $4000. He said he still owed money on it so, I gave the seller $2500 cash to pay off the balance owed to the bank. 2 month's ago I found out that the seller has moved out of state (his ex-wife believes he moved to Nevada or Arizona) and that he filed bankruptcy on the motorcycle loan a year ago (BEFORE he sold it to me). The bank will not give me any information about the account or the balance owed.

Can I get a title for this motorcycle? If so, how do I go about doing it?

justalayman

most likely you are not going to get a title but any possibility of getting a title would depend on what happened to the bike in the BK procedure.

If included it in the BK and was required to relinquish the bike, he screwed you for $2500 but you might be able to purchase it from the bank, but highly doubtful.

If he was allowed to keep the bike, it would depend on what happened to what he owed.

bottom line and most likely answer: no, you are not going to get the title to the bike. You need to seek your money from the guy and return the bike to him.

short of that, you need to call the bank and ask them if they are attempting to repo it (along with the explanation of how it ended up in your possession) and if so, tell them where they can come pick it up.

if they fail to pick it up, call the police and report it abandoned and let them take it.

it sounds real likely you were scammed

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">