• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I resolve an unpaid lien issue on the motorcycle I bought?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LilSis92971

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

In April of 2009 I went to a somewhat local motorcycle dealer and bought a used 06 Kawasaki 636. I paid for the bike, new set of tires, new front & back brakes, an oil change and a few extras in full. The following Monday I applied for the title and purchased my tag, I also purchased insurance. I never received my title and after many lost title claims the DMV worker I spoke with 2 weeks ago told me to contact the dealer because they had failed to submit needed paperwork, i.e., a letter of lien clearance. I immediately called the dealer only to find out that the bike had a lien when they accepted it as a trade in and they neglected to payoff that lien when I purchased the bike. After catching them in a few miss-truths, and having them fax me a statement admitting fault, they have promised to resolve this issue. However, I haven't heard anything from them since and still have not received a clear title. I have gotten nowhere trying to find out who the lien holder or original owner is. I bought this bike and can't title, tag, insure or legally ride it. Returning the bike at this point is not an option! I have made many upgrades to this bike over the past 16 months before learning 2 weeks ago the problem was a prior lien and not a lost title. How do resolve this issue?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">