• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to make the calls stop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

handcrafter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR

Over a year ago I requested more info from a company called K-12 that says they work with public schools as an alternative to institutional education. My daughter was painfully shy, and so homeschooling sounded like a good idea. She has since been diagnosed with autism, and so we are still working with the public school itself and she is homeschooled with in-school therapy.

Anyway soon after their first call, I let them know we weren't interested and what had happened. Since then, they've continued calling at least every few days, sometimes are late as 10pm. Since it takes a few hours to go through my daughter's bedtime routine, a loud ringing means starting over. Unfortunately with one death in the family and two more very very sick, just shutting the phone off for a few hours doesn't work. So the phone ringing at 10, a couple hours into her routine, means she won't be in bed until about 1am. Any parent with an autistic child will understand how strict some autistic children will enforce their routines.

I have told K-12 at least a dozen times to stop calling, and have sent two letters, and they will not. It took me over 10 minutes to get to speak with a manager with a tier 1 rep insisting my identity needed to be verified. It took so long because I refused to give personal information aside from my name and phone number, the only information I ever gave. My ID number and a credit card shouldn't be needed! He finally transferred me when I told him to "get me a goddamned manager right now," and he told me I had no right to swear, and I told him I have a first article right to freedom of speech. He tried accusing me of violating his same right by swearing. Yeah, somehow me saying words of my choice violates someone else's freedom of speech. I wouldn't go through a system with such uneducated employees.

So I finally got to a manager, and he wouldn't remove my number, stating that I requested information, and it's their obligation to see that I get it. I told him I had it and can not use the services they offer with an autistic child. He reiterated that my information will not be removed. You can bet I got angry after about fifteen minutes of that run-around. I told him he had no choice or right to call me, and he said, "Yes, I do," and hung up. About an hour later I got a robocall from K-12, "You requested information, please call us at blah blah blah." Either that was a strange coincidence, or he set that up.

Like I said, I've dealt with this at least every three days for over a year and have told them at least a dozen times to stop calling. I sincerely do not have the money to get into sending certified letters (I've had to cut back my hours as my daughter's needs became more demanding, so ever dollar in this household is budgeted), or hiring attorneys. Changing phone numbers would be a bad idea with all the medical stuff going on in the family and how easy it would be to overlook someone needing an updated phone number as a matter of medical or my daughter's education. At the same time, I'm really frustrated at all the calls.

What else can I do to make them stop?

Eekamouse

Buy a really shrill whistle and ear plugs for your child so it doesn't scare her when you let the jerks on the telephone have it.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR

Over a year ago I requested more info from a company called K-12 that says they work with public schools as an alternative to institutional education. My daughter was painfully shy, and so homeschooling sounded like a good idea. She has since been diagnosed with autism, and so we are still working with the public school itself and she is homeschooled with in-school therapy.

Anyway soon after their first call, I let them know we weren't interested and what had happened. Since then, they've continued calling at least every few days, sometimes are late as 10pm. Since it takes a few hours to go through my daughter's bedtime routine, a loud ringing means starting over. Unfortunately with one death in the family and two more very very sick, just shutting the phone off for a few hours doesn't work. So the phone ringing at 10, a couple hours into her routine, means she won't be in bed until about 1am. Any parent with an autistic child will understand how strict some autistic children will enforce their routines.

I have told K-12 at least a dozen times to stop calling, and have sent two letters, and they will not. It took me over 10 minutes to get to speak with a manager with a tier 1 rep insisting my identity needed to be verified. It took so long because I refused to give personal information aside from my name and phone number, the only information I ever gave. My ID number and a credit card shouldn't be needed! He finally transferred me when I told him to "get me a goddamned manager right now," and he told me I had no right to swear, and I told him I have a first article right to freedom of speech. He tried accusing me of violating his same right by swearing. Yeah, somehow me saying words of my choice violates someone else's freedom of speech. I wouldn't go through a system with such uneducated employees.

So I finally got to a manager, and he wouldn't remove my number, stating that I requested information, and it's their obligation to see that I get it. I told him I had it and can not use the services they offer with an autistic child. He reiterated that my information will not be removed. You can bet I got angry after about fifteen minutes of that run-around. I told him he had no choice or right to call me, and he said, "Yes, I do," and hung up. About an hour later I got a robocall from K-12, "You requested information, please call us at blah blah blah." Either that was a strange coincidence, or he set that up.

Like I said, I've dealt with this at least every three days for over a year and have told them at least a dozen times to stop calling. I sincerely do not have the money to get into sending certified letters (I've had to cut back my hours as my daughter's needs became more demanding, so ever dollar in this household is budgeted), or hiring attorneys. Changing phone numbers would be a bad idea with all the medical stuff going on in the family and how easy it would be to overlook someone needing an updated phone number as a matter of medical or my daughter's education. At the same time, I'm really frustrated at all the calls.

What else can I do to make them stop?
What's happening here is considered unwanted telephone solicitations. While it's true that you made an inquiry with this business about their services, thereby making them a firm with which you have an EBR (existing business relationship), generally, you may put an end to that relationship by telling the person or entity not to place any more solicitation calls to your home. Additionally, the EBR is only in effect for 18 months after your last business transaction or three months after your last inquiry or application. After these time periods, calls placed to your home phone number or numbers by that person or entity are considered telephone solicitations subject to the do-not-call rules under the DO NOT CALL Registry.

Some states permit you to file law suits in state court against persons or entities violating the do-not-call rules. You may be awarded $500 in damages or actual monetary loss, whichever is greater. The amount may be tripled if you are able to show that the caller violated the rules willfully and knowingly. Filing a complaint with the FCC does not prevent you from also bringing a suit in state court.

States also can bring a civil law suit against any person or entity that engages in a pattern or practice of violating the TCPA or FCC rules. You can contact your state Attorney General’s office or consumer protection agency with particular complaints, or to encourage such suits.

If I were you, I'd file a complaint with the FCC for this company's violation of the DO NOT CALL rules. You can read more about the DO NOT CALL registry and the complaint process here on their website: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/unwanted-telephone-marketing-calls

Proserpina

What's happening here is considered unwanted telephone solicitations. While it's true that you made an inquiry with this business about their services, thereby making them a firm with which you have an EBR (existing business relationship), generally, you may put an end to that relationship by telling the person or entity not to place any more solicitation calls to your home. Additionally, the EBR is only in effect for 18 months after your last business transaction or three months after your last inquiry or application. After these time periods, calls placed to your home phone number or numbers by that person or entity are considered telephone solicitations subject to the do-not-call rules under the DO NOT CALL Registry.

Some states permit you to file law suits in state court against persons or entities violating the do-not-call rules. You may be awarded $500 in damages or actual monetary loss, whichever is greater. The amount may be tripled if you are able to show that the caller violated the rules willfully and knowingly. Filing a complaint with the FCC does not prevent you from also bringing a suit in state court.

States also can bring a civil law suit against any person or entity that engages in a pattern or practice of violating the TCPA or FCC rules. You can contact your state Attorney General’s office or consumer protection agency with particular complaints, or to encourage such suits.

If I were you, I'd file a complaint with the FCC for this company's violation of the DO NOT CALL rules. You can read more about the DO NOT CALL registry and the complaint process here on their website: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/unwanted-telephone-marketing-calls

Sandy, are you sure about this?

Don't companies with whom you've done prior business have a legal loophole concerning the DNC registers?

sandyclaus

Yes, Pro. If you read through what I posted (which can also be found on the FCC website link I provided), the EBR is only in effect for 18 months after your last business transaction or three months after your last inquiry or application. After these time periods, calls placed to the home phone number or numbers by that person or entity are considered telephone solicitations subject to the do-not-call rules under the DO NOT CALL Registry.

It's clear that OP has already asked the company to stop calling, thereby ending the existing business relationship. Since the initial inquiry was over a year ago, and the OP made it clear that they were not interested and asked for the calls to stop about a week after that, then the EBR was severed. Any calls made after 3 months following that date would be considered unwanted solicitations according to FCC rules.

Proserpina

Yes, Pro. If you read through what I posted (which can also be found on the FCC website link I provided), the EBR is only in effect for 18 months after your last business transaction or three months after your last inquiry or application. After these time periods, calls placed to the home phone number or numbers by that person or entity are considered telephone solicitations subject to the do-not-call rules under the DO NOT CALL Registry.

It's clear that OP has already asked the company to stop calling, thereby ending the existing business relationship. Since the initial inquiry was over a year ago, and the OP made it clear that they were not interested and asked for the calls to stop about a week after that, then the EBR was severed. Any calls made after 3 months following that date would be considered unwanted solicitations according to FCC rules.

Thanks for the clarification!

nextwife

Many answering systemsare available that have a Do No Disturb button. Just hit the button at times you don't want their calls, and they will go to the machine. After enough time of never reaching anyone, they will stop calling.

PeterK01

Many landlines also have a call-block feature. For a small charge it can block the offending number forever. Look in the phone book for insturctions or call the phone company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">