• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to recoup deductible if insurance co. doesn"t act?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drlong

How do I recoup my deductible for property damages caused by a minor? My insurance paid for damages less the deductible. Must my insurer act to collect from minor's family in my behalf. If not, can I file suit to recoup it or do I need an affadavit from my insurer that they are not pursuing to recoup the deductible? There is clear evidence, witnesses, and a police report.

racer72

Your insurance company has no authority to collect the deductable. You would have to sue the minor's parents in an attempt to collect. But do not be surprised if you lose in court. The deductable is considered the insured's responsibility to pay in return for lower rates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">