• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Should I Handle? Dealership Sold My Trade-In But Financing Fell Through

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djoenes244

Good Morning,

I bought a 2016 Chrysler 200 Limited brand new from a dealership in Tennessee via trade-in on 11/25/15. I did have some negative equity after the trade in of about $7,000 or so. The dealership gave me $7,000 for my car.
I gave $2,500 for my down payment. I drove off the lot, thinking everything was cool. I was told I'd get my first bill in the mail to be due 01/04/16. The last week of December the new finance company called me to confirm the agreements of the contract. They told me about my first bill as well. So I'm thinking everything is cool and I'm just waiting on my plates to be delivered to the dealership.
Well 01/04/16 gets here and I have no bill, so I look the finance company up online to call and make a payment so as not to be late but the cust service rep told me she couldn't find my account by any of my information. That same afternoon I received a decline letter from the same finance company. So I thought maybe this is a mistake. The next day the manager of the dealership called me threatening me to return the car back because of my down payment. I kind of snapped on him and said I paid my down payment in cash $2,500.00 (Which he didn't even know about). The issue here was I had originally given a check to hold for the down payment but when I paid it in full the Finance Manager told me he would rip the check up. In the interim , I had a fraud issue on my account and my bank had frozen the account while investigating. I asked why would you deposit the check when I paid you in Cash and you paid off the title of my previous car and sold it!?? But no one has given me a correct answer. I have called numerous times with no responses to my voicemail, I've visited numerous times with promises to call me back not kept. The last time I went I talked to my original sales guy who didn't even know what was going on and was very sympathetic and was trying his best to help me. They told me that they'd have to wait on the owner to get involved since the financing fell through ( something about my debt to income ratio and my rent was put wrong on the application). That was two weeks ago. They wont give me another temp tag as i've already had two and apparently in TN you can only get a third one if there is a cashable contract in house with the dealership.

I'm trying to be the good responsible consumer here and pay my bills but they are not helping me. What options do I have? Do I just take the car back and demand my down payment of $2,500.00 back or the $7,000.00 trade in minus the $2,500 I don't even know what I'm obligated to get back if anything...

I've been very patient with all this but I've essentially been driving a brand new car for free since Nov 2015, which is fine but as I said I'm trying to be responsible.

Sorry for the long ass story but what options do I have here?
Thanks for your time!
DJ

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">